Melinda Gates: President Trump's 'Misguided' Budget Shows U.S. Doesn't Care About Women and Children




The philanthropist argues that cuts in international health programs can harm Americans back home
The philanthropist argues that cuts in international health programs can harm Americans back home  

President Trump on Monday released his latest budget request for the next fiscal year. The plan drew reactions from all over, including criticism from philanthropist Melinda Gates, who took issue with a "misguided" approach to global health and poverty funding.

Gates, whose work at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation aims to reduce health inequities around the developing world, said that Trump's proposed cuts to international health programs leaves the U.S. vulnerable to health crises like rapidly-spreading pandemics.

"[Trump's proposal] continues the misguided approach the Administration has taken toward global health and development over the past year," Gates said in a statement. "For example, the fact that we already had health workers on the ground in Nigeria fighting polio was a key reason we were able to contain the last Ebola epidemic before it reached our shores.

"Make no mistake: foreign aid funding protects American lives, too," she added.

Gates also argued that Trump's budget, if passed in its current state, will harm women and children in need of family planning services.

"For women and children around the world, family planning is a matter of life and death," Gates said. "Without the ability to plan and space their pregnancies, women are more likely to die in childbirth, their babies are less likely to survive childhood, and more vulnerable families are trapped in a cycle of poverty."

Trump's proposed 2019 budget makes a number of cuts to foreign aid and domestic health programs. Gates specifically cited its continued implementation of the Mexico City Policy, which prevents federal funding from being allocated to non-governmental organizations that have abortion services or advocate for them.

"Budgets are a reflection of our priorities," Gates said. "When we cut funding for the programs that are keeping women and children alive, it sends a signal to the world that we do not care about their lives or futures."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump
Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump

The Trump administration is exploring the idea of forming a special committee to look at climate change and security risks, with the effort being coordinated by a 79-year-old physicist who rejects mainstream climate science. A memo to those federal officials asks them to direct any questions to William Happer, a member of Trump's National Security Council and a well-known critic of mainstream climate science findings.

Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds
Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds

The nation's demographic shift has emboldened white supremacists, the Southern Poverty Law Center finds in its annual survey.

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump
Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump 'Embarrassment'

Bernie Sanders, the independent Vermont senator who finished runner up to Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, on Tuesday announced a second White House bid. "I think the current occupant of the White House is an embarrassment to our country," Sanders said in an interview

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.