McDonald's faces 25 new sexual harassment complaints from workers




  • In US
  • 2019-05-21 17:15:20Z
  • By By Jonathan Stempel
 

By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - McDonald's Corp was accused on Tuesday in 25 new lawsuits and regulatory charges of condoning sexual harassment in the workplace and retaliating against employees who speak up.

The cases announced by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the labor group Fight for $15, and the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund cover alleged misconduct at McDonald's locations in 20 U.S. cities, including groping, indecent exposure, propositions for sex, and lewd comments.

McDonald's is one of the world's most recognizable brands, and the cases make the fast-food chain a primary target of a campaign to extend the #MeToo movement, which sprung from sexual harassment cases in Hollywood, to the workplace.

The Chicago-based company said it has more than 14,000 locations in the United States with some 850,000 workers.

More than 90 percent of the locations are franchised, and McDonald's has long maintained it should not be liable for how employees in franchised restaurants behave.

Chief Executive Steve Easterbrook said his company has improved and more clearly defined its harassment policies, has trained most franchise owners, and will be training front-line employees and setting up a complaint hotline.

"McDonald's is sending a clear message that we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture of trust where employees feel safe, valued and respected," Easterbrook wrote in letters this week to Illinois Senator Tammy Duckworth and "Top Chef" host Padma Lakshmi, who supports the workers' cause.

The 25 cases include three new lawsuits, two by workers who previously filed charges, and charges filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

McDonald's has faced more than 50 such charges and lawsuits in the last three years, the ACLU said. Last September, McDonald's workers in 10 cities staged a one-day strike to protest alleged sexual harassment.

Jamelia Fairley, a single mother who makes $9.60 an hour at a corporate-owned McDonald's in Sanford, Florida, told reporters she went to the EEOC after a co-worker began groping her, rubbing against her and saying he could "give me a ride."

She said that after she reported the harassment, McDonald's transferred but did not fire her harasser, while her boss cut her weekly hours to seven from 25,

"Trying to raise a 2-year old on $67 a week is, well, I can't do it," Fairley said.

Sharyn Tejani, director of the Time's Up fund, which is part of the National Women's Law Center, said having to put up with workplace harassment should not be a cost of making a living.

"For McDonald's, time is past up," she said.


(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; editing by Bill Berkrot)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Suspect Named, New Details Released in Case of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen
Suspect Named, New Details Released in Case of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen
  • US
  • 2020-07-02 21:36:41Z

Army officials said there is no evidence that a soldier who killed himself to avoid capture sexually assaulted Guillen.

Buddhist priest sues to halt inmate
Buddhist priest sues to halt inmate's federal execution because of coronavirus risk
  • US
  • 2020-07-02 17:37:48Z

"There is absolutely no reason for the government to rush forward with such a reckless and dangerous plan," an ACLU attorney said.

ACLU sues AG Barr, feds to delay execution amid coronavirus pandemic
ACLU sues AG Barr, feds to delay execution amid coronavirus pandemic
  • US
  • 2020-07-02 15:26:00Z

The American Civil Liberties Union has joined with a law firm to sue Attorney General William Barr and other federal officials in order to delay a federal execution that's scheduled to be carried out later this month, claiming it is unsafe because of coronavirus. The execution is the second of four that the government has scheduled for this summer and which the ACLU argues could become "super-spreader events," according to the ACLU. The plaintiffs are hoping to postpone the federal execution of Wesley Purkey -- scheduled for July 15 -- arguing that Purkey's witness and spiritual minister, Rev. Seigen Hartkemeyer, a 68-year-old Buddhist priest with lung-related illnesses, would be...

Fox News fires anchor for sexual misconduct
Fox News fires anchor for sexual misconduct
  • US
  • 2020-07-01 15:07:13Z

The cable news network owned by Rupert Murdoch's Fox Corp said it received a complaint on June 25 from the lawyer of a former employee which prompted the network to retain an outside law firm to investigate. Henry was suspended on the day of the complaint and was fired based on "investigative findings," according to an internal memo that Fox News provided Reuters. Henry could not immediately be reached for comment.

Fox News anchor Ed Henry fired after sexual misconduct investigation
Fox News anchor Ed Henry fired after sexual misconduct investigation

Fox News has fired Ed Henry, a daytime anchor and former head of the White House Correspondents Assn., after an investigation into sexual misconduct.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US