Mattis dismisses Iran revenge threat, says U.S. not in attack




WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Monday dismissed Iran's threats of revenge against those behind Saturday's deadly attack on a military parade in southwestern Iran and said it was "ludicrous" for Tehran to allege U.S. involvement.

Asked whether Iran's threat gave him any concern, Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon: "No, it does not. We've been very clear that they shouldn't take us on like that. And I am hopeful that cooler, wiser heads will prevail."

Iran's Revolutionary Guards Brigadier General Hossein Salami was quoted as saying the attack, which killed 25 people, had exposed the dark side of an alliance that the United States, Saudi Arabia and Israel had created to counter Iranian influence in the region.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Leslie Adler)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Recent developments surrounding the South China Sea
Recent developments surrounding the South China Sea
  • World
  • 2018-10-22 05:53:58Z

BEIJING (AP) - A look at recent developments in the South China Sea, where China is pitted against smaller neighbors in multiple disputes over islands, coral reefs and lagoons in waters crucial for global commerce and rich in fish and potential oil and gas reserves:

Saudi Arabia: storms and reforms under new crown prince
Saudi Arabia: storms and reforms under new crown prince

Mohammed bin Salman became crown prince of Saudi Arabia in June last year, shaking up the ultra-conservative oil giant with economic, social and religious reforms. On June 21, 2017, King Salman names his 31-year-old son, Mohammed, as crown prince, displacing the king's nephew Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as heir to the throne. Widely known as MBS, Prince Mohammed retains his role as defence minister.

U.S., South Korea suspend more drills to bolster North Korea diplomacy
U.S., South Korea suspend more drills to bolster North Korea diplomacy
  • World
  • 2018-10-19 16:27:08Z

The Pentagon said the decision to suspend Exercise Vigilant Ace, which had been scheduled for December, was taken by U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo, who met in Singapore on Friday. Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said in a statement that the decision

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.