Manhunt underway after 3 killed at Maryland office shooting




  • In Business/Economy
  • 2017-10-18 17:55:02Z
  • By Juliet Linderman, Associated Press
 

EDGEWOOD, Md. (AP) -- A gunman opened fire at a Maryland office park on Wednesday morning, killing three co-workers and wounding two others, authorities and the business owner said.

A manhunt was underway for 37-year-old Radee Labeeb Prince, who was considered armed and dangerous.

Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said Prince shot his victims with a handgun and fled the Emmorton Business Park in Edgewood, which is about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of Baltimore. The sheriff did not release a motive for the shooting.

The victims and the suspect worked for Advanced Granite Solutions, the owner of the home improvement company told The Associated Press. Prince has been an employee for four months, working as a machine operator, owner Barak Caba told AP in a brief telephone interview. Caba was shaken and would not provide additional details.

The wounded were in critical condition, according to a spokeswoman for the University of Maryland Medical Center's R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, speaking during a break from a meeting of a state board, said the survivors had gunshot wounds to the head.

He said authorities had helicopters in the air and police on the ground looking for Prince, who may be driving a black 2008 GMC Acadia with the Delaware license tag PC 064273.

"The killer remains on the loose," Hogan said.

The FBI is assisting local authorities. Investigators were treating the shooting as a case of workplace violence and didn't see ties to terrorism, said Dave Fitz, a spokesman for the Baltimore FBI field office.

Nearby schools and businesses were locked down as a precaution.

The business park is just south of the Interstate 95 interchange with Maryland 24.

Yellow crime scene tape cordoned off Advanced Granite Solutions on Wednesday afternoon. Investigators, deputies and federal agents fanned out across the business park to investigate.

Across the road, several employees, some wearing lime green T-shirts with the Advanced Granite Solutions logo, embraced each other as they waited for news of their colleagues. The sheriff said the department had set up a receiving area for family members in a nearby hotel ballroom.

The sheriff said Prince had a criminal record, but he didn't know the extent of it. According to online court records, Prince lived in Elkton - about 35 miles (56 kilometers) from the shooting scene - as recently as last month.

The sheriff said authorities checked an Elkton home after the shooting, but Prince was not there.

___

Associated Press writers Denise Lavoie in Richmond, Virginia; Brian Witte in Annapolis, Maryland; Matthew Barakat in McLean, Virginia, and Eric Tucker in Washington contributed to this report.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Files show rising alarm in Prince
Files show rising alarm in Prince's circle as health failed

Some of Prince's closest confidants had grown increasingly alarmed about his health in the days before he died and tried to get him help as they realized he had an opioid addiction - yet none were able to give investigators the insight they needed to determine where the musician got the fentanyl

The Latest: Source: Fed probe of Prince death now inactive
The Latest: Source: Fed probe of Prince death now inactive

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Latest on the investigation into Prince's death (all times local):

Doctor Who Illegally Prescribed Prince Painkillers Before Overdose Pays $30,000 Settlement
Doctor Who Illegally Prescribed Prince Painkillers Before Overdose Pays $30,000 Settlement

Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg is not the target of criminal investigations

In singer Prince
In singer Prince's death, Minnesota prosecutor decides whether to file charges
  • US
  • 2018-04-18 17:35:14Z

Carver County Attorney Mark Metz will hold a news conference to announce his charging decision following an investigation, the Carver County Attorney's office said in a statement on Wednesday. Prince, 57, was found dead at his Paisley Park complex near Minneapolis on April 21, 2016. The official cause of death was a self-administered overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, but no prescriptions were found for the powerful drug which is 50 times stronger than heroin.

Minnesota prosecutors plan announcement on Prince death
Minnesota prosecutors plan announcement on Prince death

Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement in their two-year investigation into Prince's death from an accidental fentanyl overdose. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz was scheduled to announce a ...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.