Manhattan subway explosion 'was attempted terrorist attack', says mayor




  • In World/Asia
  • 2017-12-11 18:36:10Z
  • By The Guardian
 

A 27-year-old man was in custody on Monday after detonating an explosive device in a New York City subway station during the morning commute.

The suspect, Akayed Ullah, was one of four people injured in the explosion, which occurred at about 7.20am in a passageway near 42nd Street and 8th Avenue, in midtown Manhattan near Times Square, New York City police said.

map

None of the injuries were life-threatening. At a press conference, New York police commissioner James O'Neill said the suspect had "an improvised low-tech explosive device attached to his body". Daniel Nigro, the fire department commissioner, said Ullah sustained burns to his hands and torso while the three other people suffered "ringing ears and headaches".

"This was an attempted terrorist attack," said New York City mayor Bill de Blasio.

Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York, said an attack on the subway was "very frightening and disturbing" and "in many ways, one of our worst nightmares".

"This is New York," Cuomo said. "The reality is that we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom. We have the Statue of Liberty in our harbor. Anyone can go on the internet and download garbage and vileness, how to put together an amateur level explosive device, and that is the reality we live with.

"The counter-reality is that this is New York and we all pitch together, and we are a savvy people and we keep our eyes open … and we have the best law enforcement in the globe."

De Blasio said there were "no known additional incidents or activities" but said there would be an increased police presence in the city.

The suspect, a Bangladeshi immigrant, was being treated at Bellevue hospital. Police said there was video of the attempted attack. Asked if the suspect was connected to the Islamic State terror group, O'Neill said the suspect "did make statements" but did not elaborate.

Police were investigating Brooklyn properties connected to Ullah or his relatives shortly after the attempted attack. In the quiet residential neighborhood of Kensington, witnesses said they had seen a Swat team enter a six-story building.

(July 4, 2002) Los Angeles International Airport


Hesham Muhammad Hadayet, an Egyptian national with a green card giving him permanent status in the United States, killed two people and wounded four at Los Angeles International Airport. Hadayet also died.


(June 1, 2009) Little Rock, Arkansas


Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, an American-born convert to Islam, opened fire on an army recruiting office in Little Rock, Arkansas. Muhammad killed one soldier and wounded another. Muhammad, who previously lived in Yemen, claimed to be a member of al-Qaida. Muhammad eventually pled guilty to avoid the death penalty.


(November 5, 2009) Fort Hood, Texas


Army major Nidal Hasan opened fire in the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas. The American-born Hasan killed 13 soldiers and wounded 32. Hasan was paralyzed in the attack. At his trial, he declared himself to be at war with America and investigators found that although he acted alone, he had accessed jihadist websites. Hasan was sentenced to death and is currently incarcerated in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.


(April 15, 2013) Boston Marathon bombing


The Boston Marathon attack was carried out by two brothers, Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The bomb killed three people and injured 264. The two later killed an MIT police officer. In addition, in a firefight between the brothers and the police, 16 officers were injured and another later died. Tamerlan died after he was shot by police and his brother ran over him in a car in an attempt to escape. Dzhokhar was apprehended and sentenced to death. The two Kyrgyz-American immigrants had been self-radicalized but learned to make their bomb from the al-Qaida online magazine Inspire.


(July 16, 2015) Navy reserve center


Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez attacked a marine recruiting office and US Navy reserve center. He killed four marines and one seaman before police killed him. Abdulazeez was an American citizen born in Kuwait. Former FBI director James Comey said Abdulazeez was "motivated by foreign terrorist organization propaganda."


(December 15, 2015) San Bernandino


Syed Rizwan Farook and Tasheen Malik opened fire at the San Bernandino County Department of Public Health. Fourteen people died and 24 were injured. Farook was born in the United States and Malik was a Pakistani immigrant. The two were killed by police. The FBI described them as "homegrown violent extremists".


(June 12, 2016) Pulse nightclub


American-born Omar Mateen killed 49 people and wounded 58 at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida. In calls made during his rampage, Mateen pledged allegiance to Isis. He was killed by police.


(October 31, 2017) New York truck attack


A man drove a truck into people on the Hudson River bike path, killing eight and injuring 11. Sayfullo Saipov, a 29-year-old immigrant from Uzbekistan, has pleaded not guilty to murder.


The subway station where the blast happened is below Port Authority bus terminal, the busiest in the world, serving at least 65 million passengers each year. On Monday morning, nearby Times Square and its surroundings were overwhelmed by police. The area would usually be packed with commuters and tourists.

The explosion occurred less than two months after a man drove a truck into a bicycle lane on Manhattan's west side, killing eight people. The suspect pleaded not guilty to 22 counts including providing material support to the Islamic State group.

In September 2016, 30 people were injured when a bomb exploded behind a dumpster on West 23rd Street, in the Chelsea neighbourhood. The suspect was found guilty this October, on eight charges.

On Monday, travellers reacted with bemusement, relief and some humor. Danny Nguyen, 24, heard the explosion while he waited for a bus home to Philadelphia. He said police ran into the station. "I saw a mom trying to take her daughter up the elevator the wrong way, just panicking," he said.

Tina Grimes, 38, was supposed to be on a bus to Boston. She said she was going to make the best of her extra time in New York. "It's too cold to walk around," she said. "Maybe I'll go shopping or something."

Barbara Petro had been due to return to Columbia, Maryland. She said the incident would not put her off visiting New York again, but was disappointed because "my granddaughter is singing in a Christmas performance as an angel tonight, and I don't think I'll make it".

The attack interrupted nearly every subway line and some trains were evacuated, putting even more strain on a subway system that has been heavily criticized for long delays and frequent train breakdowns.

Many New Yorkers were unfazed. Shaun Henderson was on the F train after the explosion and said he was just happy the trains were working, even if he was going to be late for work.

"It's the subway, you know," Henderson said. "New Yorkers are used to this. The F train doesn't need a pipe bomb to be fucked up."

Hours after the explosion, the subway system had almost completely resumed normal service. The only aberration was trains bypassing the station where the explosion occurred.

Donald Trump was briefed but did not immediately respond. Instead, the president tweeted a complaint about a New York Times story that said he watched four to eight hours of television every day. "Bad reporting," he wrote.

Though witnesses described panic immediately after the explosion, shortly after the attack the scene was calm. The usually frantic five lanes of 8th Avenue were closed to traffic from 34th Street to the site of the explosion but pedestrians and cyclists moved freely. Police blocked off the road between the huge frame of Port Authority and the New York Times skyscraper, across the street.

Lythia, who asked for her last name not to be used, was handing out a free paper, Metro, at the corner of 40th Street and 8th Avenue when she saw "people running towards me saying it was an explosion, it was a bomb. Everybody was just running. Then I saw the cops, the fire department, the ambulance, the bomb squad."

She said she was not scared:"I felt like an angel was protecting me."

Another newspaper distributor, Jerome Thompson, was more shaken up. "People came running from the situation," he said. "I was shocked. I was getting a little frightened too. I thought this is serious. I'm glad everybody is all right."

Additional reporting by Adam Gabbatt, Oliver Laughland and Alan Yuhas.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Prosecutors urge charging New York policeman in 2014 choke hold death: NY Times
Prosecutors urge charging New York policeman in 2014 choke hold death: NY Times
  • US
  • 2018-04-20 17:21:45Z

Federal civil rights prosecutors have recommended charging a white New York City police officer for putting Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, in a fatal choke hold during a 2014 arrest, the New York Times reported on Friday, citing unnamed officials. Garner, a 43-year-old father of six, was stopped by police on July 17, 2014, for illegally peddling cigarettes on a sidewalk in New York's Staten Island borough. Garner argued with police and was tackled by Pantaleo, who brought Garner to the ground with an arm around his neck.

New York governor presses banks, insurers to weigh risk of NRA ties
New York governor presses banks, insurers to weigh risk of NRA ties
  • US
  • 2018-04-20 01:49:59Z

By Jonathan Stempel NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Thursday ramped up pressure on banks and insurers to revisit whether their ties to the National Rifle Association and other gun rights groups harm their reputations and the public interest. Cuomo, a Democrat, noted that some well-known companies, including the insurer MetLife Inc, have ended some business relationships with the NRA after a gunman killed 17 people at a Parkland, Florida, high school on Valentine's Day. The governor directed New York's Department of Financial Services to urge state-chartered banks and the more than 1,400 insurers it regulates to review whether their ties to the NRA and similar...

New York Attorney General Pushes To Sidestep Any Trump Pardons
New York Attorney General Pushes To Sidestep Any Trump Pardons

New York's attorney general has asked officials to change state law so

New York attorney general wants power to bypass Trump pardons
New York attorney general wants power to bypass Trump pardons
  • US
  • 2018-04-18 21:50:10Z

By Jonathan Stempel NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York's attorney general on Wednesday asked Governor Andrew Cuomo and state legislators to give him and other local prosecutors power to bring criminal charges against people pardoned by U.S. President Donald Trump. In a letter, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman urged Cuomo and legislative leaders to close a loophole in New York's double jeopardy law shielding recipients of presidential pardons from state prosecution.

New York governor to allow 35,000 paroled felons to vote
New York governor to allow 35,000 paroled felons to vote
  • US
  • 2018-04-18 19:46:45Z

New York State plans to restore voting rights to about 35,000 New York felons on parole who previously were barred from casting a ballot until they completed their parole, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday. Cuomo will issue an executive order to restore voting rights to those felons already on parole as well as those who enter the parole system each month, a spokesman said. Most convicted felons in the United States face hurdles and roadblocks to voting, which vary by state.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Asia

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.