Man who threatened Boston Globe also called NY Times, NFL: prosecutor




  • In US
  • 2018-09-25 11:44:29Z
  • By By Nate Raymond
FILE PHOTO: The front page of the Boston Globe newspaper references their editorial defense of press freedom at a newsstand in Cambridge
FILE PHOTO: The front page of the Boston Globe newspaper references their editorial defense of press freedom at a newsstand in Cambridge  

By Nate Raymond

BOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. investigators are probing whether a man accused of threatening to kill journalists at the Boston Globe after calling them "the enemy of the people" made similar threats to the New York Times and National Football League, a prosecutor said on Monday.

Robert Chain, 68, pleaded not guilty in Boston federal court to charges that he threatened Globe employees in August after the paper coordinated an editorial response by more than 350 newspapers to President Donald Trump's attacks on the media.

Assistant U.S. Attorney George Varghese said authorities were investigating other threatening calls Chain made.

"We are investigating a number of calls made to other organizations, including the New York Times and the NFL," he said.

Trump has frequently criticized journalists and labeled news reports that he objects to "fake news." He has called news organizations the "enemy of the people," and has regularly attacked the Times.

Trump has also voiced anger over NFL players who knelt during the playing of the national anthem in a protest over police killings of unarmed black men and teens.

Noting that 19 firearms were found in Chain's home in California after his Aug. 31 arrest, Varghese asked a federal magistrate judge to require Chain to wear an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet to ensure he does not approach those organizations.

William Weinreb, Chain's lawyer, did not object to that condition. But he noted that Chain had not violated any of his bail terms and that the guns that the government seized were lawfully owned.

A spokeswoman for the New York Times said the paper had been informed that federal authorities were probing alleged calls by Chain to the newspaper.

Weinreb declined comment outside of court. An NFL spokesman declined to comment.

Chain, who lives in Encino, California, faces seven counts of use of interstate and foreign commerce to transmit a threat to injure another person. Each count carries a maximum five-year prison term.

On Aug. 16, the day the editorials ran, Chain called the Globe's newsroom and threatened to shoot employees in the head at 4 p.m, prosecutors said. The threat prompted authorities to station police outside the paper's Boston building.

Varghese did not detail the content of the calls he said Chain made to the Times and NFL.


(Reporting by Nate Raymond; Editing by Scott Malone and Rosalba O'Brien)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Court records reveal a Mueller report right in plain view
Court records reveal a Mueller report right in plain view

While many anticipate the conclusion of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe, legal documents have given the public a preview into his ongoing investigation.

Trump vows veto as Democrats try to block emergency order
Trump vows veto as Democrats try to block emergency order

Democrats controlling the House have teed up a vote next week to block President Donald Trump from using a national emergency declaration to fund a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, accelerating a showdown in Congress that could divide Republicans and lead to Trump's first veto. The Democrats introduced

ISIS bride Hoda Muthana's family files lawsuit against Trump
ISIS bride Hoda Muthana's family files lawsuit against Trump

The father of a woman who traveled from her home in Alabama to marry an ISIS fighter files a lawsuit against the Trump administration to get her home.

Tucker Carlson Guest Says African Americans
Tucker Carlson Guest Says African Americans 'Need To Move On' From Slavery

A guest on Tucker Carlson's Fox News show on Thursday night said AfricanAmericans "need to move on" from slavery

Father of US-born woman who joined IS sues over citizenship
Father of US-born woman who joined IS sues over citizenship
  • World
  • 2019-02-22 03:56:26Z

The father of an Alabama woman who joined the Islamic State group in Syria sued Thursday to bring her home after the Trump administration took the extraordinary step of declaring that she was not a US citizen. Hoda Muthana, 24, says that she regrets joining the extremists and is willing to face prosecution

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.