Los Angeles prosecutors reviewing sexual assault case against Sylvester Stallone




  • In US
  • 2018-06-13 23:56:13Z
  • By Reuters
FILE PHOTO: Actor Sylvester Stallone poses at the LACMA Art+Film Gala in Los Angeles
FILE PHOTO: Actor Sylvester Stallone poses at the LACMA Art+Film Gala in Los Angeles  

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles prosecutors said on Wednesday that their sex crimes team was reviewing a case against "Rocky" actor Sylvester Stallone.

Los Angeles District Attorney's office spokesman Greg Risling did not give details but said the case was presented by police in the California beach city of Santa Monica.

Representatives for Stallone, 71, did not immediately return a call for comment on Wednesday.

In December, Stallone's attorney Martin Singer said that a woman had "filed a police report alleging a rape that occurred 27 years ago."

"My client categorically disputes the claim," Singer said in a statement at the time.

Santa Monica police said in December they were investigating a complaint that was made in November 2017 of alleged sexual misconduct in the 1990s by the actor.

Stallone skyrocketed to fame in 1976 with his Oscar-winning boxing movie "Rocky" and went on to become one of Hollywood's biggest action stars through the "Rambo" and "Rocky" film franchises.

California has a complex statute of limitations for criminal prosecutions of sexual abuse but offenses must generally be prosecuted within 10 years.

Hollywood has been roiled in the past eight months by accusations of sexual assault against dozens of actors, directors and filmmakers, leading to many major figures being forced to step down or dropped from creative projects.

Producer Harvey Weinstein was charged in New York with rape and sexual assault last month. He entered a not guilty plea.

Comedian Bill Cosby was convicted in April of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman in 2004.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bill Tarrant)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Weinstein lawyers claim actress Judd made sexual
Weinstein lawyers claim actress Judd made sexual 'deal' with disgraced mogul

Harvey Weinstein's lawyers are calling on a US judge to dismiss a lawsuit from actress Ashley Judd -- who accuses the disgraced mogul of torpedoing her career -- on the grounds that she had made a sexual "deal" with him. The 50-year-old actress says the once-influential Hollywood producer sabotaged her career by convincing Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson not to cast Judd after she rejected Weinstein's sexual advances. Weinstein's attorneys claim the ex-movie mogul then "attempted to live up to his part of the bargain" by working to cast Judd in "as many roles as possible" -- including opposite Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, a role for which Minnie Driver ultimately won an...

Angels back Trout after Manfred bemoans lack of star-power
Angels back Trout after Manfred bemoans lack of star-power

The Los Angeles Angels hit back Wednesday at Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred's take on two-time Most Valuable Player Mike Trout and his supposed reluctance to build his "brand" and boost the game. "We applaud him for prioritizing his personal values over commercial

NBA
NBA's Media All-Stars: The Athletes Making Moves in Hollywood

When LeBron James left the Cavs to sign with the Lakers earlier this month, he left a chunk of change on the table. Under NBA rules, Cleveland could have rained down more than $200 million over five years on the man many consider the best player in the league. Los Angeles was allowed to pony […]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.