Les Moonves To Step Down As CBS Chief Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations: Reports




 

Les Moonves, one of the most powerful men in media, is expected to step down as the chairman and CEO of CBS by Monday following multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him, CNN and Variety reported Sunday.

Citing two executives "with direct knowledge of the matter," CNN said the CBS board of directors is expected to announce a deal for his exit by Monday morning. The move would come roughly a month after The New Yorker published an article alleging that Moonves harassed several women with unwanted kissing and touching and contributed to the network's overall toxic workplace culture.

CBS did not immediately respond to a request for comment from HuffPost.

On Sunday, The New Yorkerpublished a second report describing additional accusations against Moonves brought by six other women. One of the women said Moonves forced her to perform oral sex on him while they worked together at Lorimar-Telepictures in the 1980s. She filed a criminal complaint with the Los Angeles Police Department last year, though prosecutors declined to pursue charges, citing expired statutes of limitations for the crimes.

While details of his departure are still emerging, CNBC reported in early September that the CBS board was offering Moonves a roughly $100 million exit package consisting nearly entirely of CBS stock, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

The sources added, however, that the CBS board was seeking the right to take back some of that money if the allegations against Moonves first detailed by The New Yorker proved true.

The magazine reported Sunday that Moonves would no longer receive any exit compensation, pending the outcome of CBS' internal investigation into the allegations. A portion of the money that would have gone toward his payout would instead be donated to Me Too initiatives.

The New Yorker's bombshell exposés by Ronan Farrow, whose reporting on sexual misconduct last year helped launch the Me Too movement, recounted some incidents that allegedly occurred more than 20 years ago, along with more recent allegations, from a total of 12 women. Some of the women said that when they rejected his forcible advances, Moonves became hostile toward them and caused their careers to suffer.

Shortly before the first piece was published, CBS issued a statement that it was looking into claims that the company's code of conduct had been violated.

"Upon the conclusion of that investigation, which involves recently reported allegations that go back several decades, the Board will promptly review the findings and take appropriate action," the statement read.

Moonves, 68, had been with CBS since 1995 and was named chairman in 2016. As head of the network, he oversaw the company's entertainment division, news broadcasts and online content.

Prior to the sexual misconduct allegations, Moonves was criticized for comments he made about the effect that Donald Trump's presidential candidacy had on CBS' ratings during the 2016 campaign.

"Sorry, it's a terrible thing to say, but bring it on, Donald. Keep going," Moonves said during a March 2016 conference.

"It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS," he said.

At the time, Trump was commanding more minutes than other candidates during nearly every GOP primary debate and had been afforded plentiful free airtime by calling in to many talk show programs. In many of these interviews, his track record of making xenophobic, racist and often false comments went unchallenged.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump defends court nominee:
Trump defends court nominee: 'I am with him all the way'
  • US
  • 2018-09-24 13:54:06Z

President Donald Trump on Monday defended his U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh after a second woman came forward with an allegation of sexual misconduct against the judge that has further complicated his confirmation prospects in the Senate. "Judge Kavanaugh is an outstanding person. On Sunday night, the New Yorker magazine published an article in which a second woman, Deborah Ramirez, described an instance of alleged sexual misconduct by Kavanaugh that dates to the 1983-84 academic year when both attended Yale University.

The Latest: Trump says Kavanaugh allegations
The Latest: Trump says Kavanaugh allegations 'political'

The Latest on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh (all times local): 9:04 a.m. President Donald Trump is pledging his support for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, saying the sexual misconduct allegations ...

Trump
Trump's Supreme Court pick faces new sexual misconduct claim
  • World
  • 2018-09-24 05:51:51Z

Donald Trump's embattled Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was hit by a second accusation of sexual misconduct Sunday, leaving Republicans scrambling to save a confirmation that until recently had seemed all but certain. The latest claims of impropriety during Kavanaugh's youth came as he

Second Woman Accuses Brett Kavanaugh of Sexual Misconduct
Second Woman Accuses Brett Kavanaugh of Sexual Misconduct

Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court is at risk of unraveling after new sexual misconduct allegations emerged, just as the Senate Judiciary Committee prepares to hear testimony from a woman claiming he assaulted her in high school. The New Yorker magazine reported Sunday that Senate

Second Woman Makes Kavanaugh Sex Misconduct Claim: New Yorker
Second Woman Makes Kavanaugh Sex Misconduct Claim: New Yorker

A second woman has stepped forward with an accusation of sexual misconduct by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, this time during his college years at Yale University, the New Yorker reported Sunday. The magazine says Senate Democrats, who brought to light the claims of Christine Blasey Ford against

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Entertainment

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.