Lebanon high court says prosecutor can resume port probe




  • In World
  • 2021-01-11 15:24:31Z
  • By Associated Press
FILE - In this Aug.
FILE - In this Aug.  

BEIRUT (AP) - Lebanon's highest court said Monday the prosecutor investigating last year's massive explosion at the Beirut port that killed dozens and injured thousands can resume his work after a three-week pause following legal challenges to his authority.

The Court of Cassation's decision gives the green light to Judge Fadi Sawwan to question officials and civil servants over the Aug. 4 explosion of nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive material used mostly as a fertilizer. The blast killed more than 200 people, injured over 6,000 and damaged entire neighborhoods in the capital.

The court's decision, reported by the official state news agency, is likely to ease concerns by members of the public who feared the investigation might end given Lebanon's decades-long culture of impunity.

Nearly 30 people, most of them port and customs officials, have been arrested since the blast. Last month, Sawwan filed charges against caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab and three former ministers, accusing them of negligence leading to the deaths of hundreds of people.

Diab and the three former ministers did not show up for questioning following the charges.

The summoning sparked concerted criticism from most of Lebanon's top politicians and the militant Hezbollah group, which urged Sawwan to reconsider his decision, describing it as politically motivated.

Sawwan paused his investigation to allow him to respond to accusations that he violated legal and constitutional procedures by summoning for questioning Diab and the three former ministers.

Many critics have seen the attacks on Sawwan as an attempt by the political elite to prevent setting a precedent that might bring accountability at the highest level.

Two of the accused former ministers, who are currently members of parliament, challenged Sawwan's decision to question them and asked the Court of Cassation to replace him, citing "legitimate suspicion" over its legality.

The court, the highest in the country, had not decided on the matter regarding the two ministers as of Monday, state-run National News Agency said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Lebanon central bank governor denies transfer of capital
Lebanon central bank governor denies transfer of capital
  • US
  • 2021-01-21 14:13:29Z

The governor of Lebanon's Central Bank denied on Thursday that he had made any transfers of the bank's funds following a probe by Swiss authorities into...

Lebanon extends lockdown to Feb. 8 as virus numbers rise
Lebanon extends lockdown to Feb. 8 as virus numbers rise
  • World
  • 2021-01-21 12:54:53Z

Authorities in Lebanon on Thursday extended a nationwide lockdown by a week to Feb. 8 amid a steep rise in coronavirus deaths and infections that has overwhelmed the health care system. Despite increasing the number of hospital beds in the country of nearly 6 million, doctors and nurses have struggled to keep pace with patients flooding their facilities. Intensive care unit bed occupancy has been rising, hitting 91% late Wednesday, according to the World Health Organization.

World Bank approves $34 million to back Lebanon
World Bank approves $34 million to back Lebanon's vaccination drive
  • US
  • 2021-01-21 05:08:18Z

The World Bank on Thursday said it had approved a re-allocation of $34 million in funds to support Lebanon's vaccination efforts as it races to contain the...

South Africa
South Africa 'Dr Death' row: Clinics defend Basson's right to practise
  • World
  • 2021-01-20 12:47:37Z

The cardiologist, who works in Cape Town, once headed the apartheid-era secret germ warfare programme.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World