Las Vegas police say no six-minute gap in massacre response




  • In US
  • 2017-10-13 20:56:39Z
  • By Reuters
 

(Reuters) - Las Vegas police presented a third version on Friday of the timeline of events for the Las Vegas gunman who killed 58 people and himself in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo, who oversees the Las Vegas police department, told reporters that gunman Stephen Paddock shot at Mandalay Bay security guard Jesus Campos outside his room on Oct. 1 at about the same time he opened fire on the more than 20,000 concertgoers at an outdoor venue.

Previously police said that Paddock shot Campos six minutes before he started firing on the crowd, raising questions as to whether police and hotel security could have acted faster to prevent casualties in the Oct. 1 attack.

"Nobody is attempting to hide anything. The dynamics and the size of the investigation require us to go through voluminous amounts of information in order to draw an accurate picture," Lombardo said.

The police account is similar to one given on Thursday by the hotel operator MGM Resorts International , which said in a statement that Paddock opened fire on Campos and the crowd at the same time or within 40 seconds.

Campos was shot in the leg when Paddock strafed the hallway with about 200 bullets, police said.

Paddock, who placed cameras in the hotel hallway to monitor activity, also injured 546 people before killing himself. No motive for the attack has been made public.

Most of the wounded have been discharged from hospitals, but 45 were still hospitalized, some with critical injuries, Lombardo said.

Lombardo said law enforcement had acted heroically on the night of the attack and that he was angered by the criticism his department has received over its investigation.

"In the public space, the word incompetence has been brought forward and I am absolutely offended with that characterization," he said.

Aaron Rouse, special agent in charge of the Las Vegas Federal Bureau of Investigation office, said there was no information that Paddock was a member of an extremist group. He added that the FBI has hundreds of agents on the case working with local law enforcement.

"Nothing will be overlooked. We have made significant progress," Rouse said at the news conference. Neither Lombardo nor Rouse took questions.


(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz in Austin, Texas; Additional reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit and Gina Cherelus in New York; Editing by Susan Thomas and Cynthia Osterman)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Texas deputy stumbles upon suspect in Vegas picnic shooting
Texas deputy stumbles upon suspect in Vegas picnic shooting

A disgruntled casino employee accused of shooting two executives at a company picnic in Las Vegas planned an escape and spent days on the run before a sheriff's deputy happened upon him sleeping in a car ...

Alvarez banned for six months over failed drug test
Alvarez banned for six months over failed drug test

Mexican middleweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was handed a six-month ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday over the failed drug test which forced his rematch with Gennady Golovkin to be cancelled. At a hearing in Las Vegas, the commission unanimously approved a deal that will

Police: Suspect in Vegas picnic shooting was casino dealer
Police: Suspect in Vegas picnic shooting was casino dealer

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A suspect in the fatal shooting of one casino executive and the wounding of another at a picnic held for a group of employees of a Las Vegas casino-resort had been a card dealer at the luxury property for 15 years, authorities said Tuesday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.