LAPD investigates officer's actions in Costco shooting




  • In US
  • 2019-06-16 20:29:54Z
  • By Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Los Angeles Police Department is gathering evidence and video footage in an administrative investigation into an off-duty officer who shot and killed a man authorities say attacked him inside a Southern California Costco Wholesale warehouse store.

Authorities remained tight-lipped Sunday, not responding to requests for comment about what provoked the Friday night confrontation and whether anyone but the officer was armed. Two others were critically injured in the shooting in Corona, which is about 40 miles (64 kilometers) east of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles Police Commission President Steve Soboroff said Sunday it is Chief Michel Moore's decision whether to put the officer on leave, but it remained unclear if that happened. The officer's identity has not been released.

The officer opened fire after Kenneth French, 32, of Riverside, "assaulted" him "without provocation" as the officer held his young child, Corona police said Saturday.

Bullets struck French and two of his family members, according to police. The officer was the only person who fired shots in the store, police said.

The officer was treated and released at a nearby hospital. The officer's child was not injured, the department said.

The department's policies allow off-duty officers to carry concealed weapons as long as they are authorized for on-duty use, according to the LAPD manual.

The LAPD will continue its internal probe as Corona police and the Riverside County district attorney's office conduct a separate investigation into the shooting. The LAPD said Sunday it had no further information. Corona police and the district attorney's office did not respond to requests for comment Sunday.

Joseph Giacalone, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired New York City Police Department sergeant, said it's justifiable to use deadly force even in a crowded store if the attacker has a weapon.

"If the guy pulled out a pocketknife and approaches him, game over," Giacalone said Sunday.

Police have not said if French had any weapons or if the officer identified himself as police before firing.

Giacalone said video footage from Costco's cameras and shoppers' cellphones will be critical to the dual investigations.

While it's not unusual for police to delay releasing information such as an officer's name in a shooting for safety reasons, Giacalone said it's important to get details out as quickly as possible.

"People start filling in the timelines for you" in the meantime, he said.

The shooting prompted a stampede of frightened shoppers, some who fled the store as others sought cover inside.

Witnesses reported seeing an argument between two people near a freezer section when shots rang out at least six times. The Costco reopened later Saturday.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Luke Perry
Luke Perry's Children To Split Late Actor's Fortune

Legal Documents Filed.

The Latest: Fire department: LA blaze began under power line
The Latest: Fire department: LA blaze began under power line
  • US
  • 2019-10-14 23:44:19Z

Fire officials say a destructive fire that broke out on the edge of Los Angeles began beneath a high-voltage transmission tower. Capt. Erik Scott told The Associated Press on Monday that Los Angeles Fire Department arson investigators have only determined the origin of the fire, not its cause. The location was at the base of power lines owned by Southern California Edison.

Firefighters finishing containment of California wildfires
Firefighters finishing containment of California wildfires
  • US
  • 2019-10-14 16:40:02Z

Firefighters are dousing remaining smoldering areas from a destructive wildfire that raged along the northern edge of Los Angeles last week. The Los Angeles Fire Department says containment of the approximately 12-square-mile (31-square-kilometer) fire is at 43 percent Monday. The fire erupted Thursday night and was rapidly spread by Santa Ana winds.

Southern California blazes show signs of slowing
Southern California blazes show signs of slowing

Wildfires raging across southern California showed signs of slowing Sunday, as firefighters contained nearly half of the biggest blaze. A fire that had burned rapidly through the San Fernando Valley in greater Los Angeles was the strongest of several across southern California. One man in his 50s died of a heart attack as he struggled to save his home, fire officials said.

Firefighters contain more of deadly Los Angeles wildfire
Firefighters contain more of deadly Los Angeles wildfire
  • US
  • 2019-10-13 16:45:34Z

State fire officials reported the so-called Saddleridge Fire was 41% contained, up from 19% contained on Saturday, when authorities ended the last remaining evacuation order. Some 23,000 people had been cleared from their homes in previous days, the Los Angeles Times reported. The fire that began on Thursday had scorched nearly 8,000 acres (3,200 hectares) as of Sunday morning, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire) reported.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.