L.A. District Attorney Launches Sexual Abuse Task Force for Entertainment Industry




 

Los Angeles District Attorney Sharon Lacey has created a task force of veteran prosecutors to deal with sexual abuse crimes in the entertainment industry.

Lacey made the announcement Thursday, adding that her office has not yet received any cases from law enforcement for criminal filing.

Show business has been rocked over the past month by multiple accusations of sexual abuse against high-profile figures including Harvey Weinstein, Brett Ratner, Kevin Spacey, James Toback, and more. The first accusations emerged on Oct. 5 against Weinstein.

"In response to the widespread allegations of sexual abuse in the entertainment industry, I have established a task force of specially trained deputy district attorneys who are ready to evaluate these cases if any are referred to my office for criminal prosecution," Lacey said. "I have assigned the group of veteran sex crimes prosecutors to work together to ensure a uniformed approach to the legal review and possible prosecution of any case that meets both the legal and factual standards for criminal prosecution."

The office has handled prosecution and extradition of filmmaker Roman Polanski, who pleaded guilty in 1977 to statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl, for four decades. Thursday's announcement said the office is in touch with local law enforcement agencies.

"To date, we have not received any cases from law enforcement for possible criminal filing," Lacey said. "We are in communication with the Los Angeles and Beverly Hills police departments."

Subscribe to Variety Newsletters and Email Alerts!

COMMENTS

More Related News

Notorious Mafia
Notorious Mafia 'boss of bosses' Toto Riina dead at 87

MILAN (AP) - Mafia 'boss of bosses' Salvatore 'Toto' Riina died early Friday in a hospital while serving multiple life sentences as the mastermind of a bloody strategy to assassinate Italian prosecutors and law enforcement trying to bring down the Cosa Nostra, Italian media reported Friday

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand Says Bill Clinton Should've Resigned Over Lewinsky Scandal
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand Says Bill Clinton Should've Resigned Over Lewinsky Scandal

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said that President Bill Clinton should have resigned from the Oval Office after news broke of his infamous affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

U.S. Army sees
U.S. Army sees 'significant' gaps in reporting criminal activities to law enforcement
  • US
  • 2017-11-15 20:31:03Z

The U.S. Army's chief of staff said on Wednesday there were "significant" gaps in reporting soldiers' criminal activities to law enforcement, an omission the Air Force acknowledged in the case of a Texas gunmen who killed 26 people. The issue of the military passing information on service members' criminal activity to law enforcement agencies was highlighted earlier this month when the Air Force said it had failed to provide data about a Texas shooter's criminal history to a U.S. law enforcement database. Former Airman Devin Kelley, who killed 26 people and wounded 20 others when he opened fire in the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on Nov. 5 was convicted five years...

U.S. presses more cities, states on immigrant
U.S. presses more cities, states on immigrant 'sanctuary' policies
  • US
  • 2017-11-15 20:11:13Z

The U.S. Justice Department on Wednesday told 29 states, cities or counties it believes they are violating a law prohibiting them from limiting information sharing with U.S. immigration officials, and it asked them for details on their compliance. The move, which could result in the jurisdictions being added to a list of five other cities and counties the government says are violating federal law, widens the effort by Republican President Donald Trump to cut money to so-called sanctuary cities. Early in his presidency, Trump signed an executive order pledging to cut funding to those cities.

Twitter Slams Donald Trump For Tweeting Condolences About The Wrong Mass Shooting
Twitter Slams Donald Trump For Tweeting Condolences About The Wrong Mass Shooting

People online tore into President Donald Trump after he appeared to offer his condolences on Twitter about the wrong mass shooting.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Entertainment

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.