Kyrgios accuses Acapulco crowd of 'disrespect' after retiring hurt




Tennis - Australian Open - Fourth Round
Tennis - Australian Open - Fourth Round  

(Reuters) - Nick Kyrgios has accused the Mexican Open crowd of "disrespect" after being jeered following his retirement against Frenchman Ugo Humbert due to a left wrist injury.

The Australian had delighted fans with some superb tennis en route to the title in Mexico last year but it was a different story on Tuesday when he was forced to quit the first-round clash after losing the opening set 6-3.

The 24-year-old, who was on court for only 32 minutes, later vented his anger in an expletive-laden news conference.

"I'm not healthy, I tried to come here, I tried to play," Kyrgios told reporters.

"I've been doing media for the tournament, been helping out. I tried to give the fans a little bit of tennis. And their disrespect?"

Kyrgios, placed on probation by the governing body of men's tennis over his behavior last year, had shown a different side to his character in the lead up to this year's Australian Open.

He had called on the tennis world to help the victims of Australia's bushfire crisis and triggered an appeal that raised millions of dollars.

his exit robs the tournament of a potential blockbuster clash with Rafa Nadal, who advanced with a 6-3 6-2 win over fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar.

Second seed Alexander Zverev moved past qualifier Jason Jung 7-6(6) 6-1 to reach the second round.


(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Kristie Ahn turning Indian Wells disappointment into viral TikTok videos
Kristie Ahn turning Indian Wells disappointment into viral TikTok videos

When Indian Wells was cancelled early last month, it spelled the beginning of a domino effect in the tennis calendar, as tournaments the world over were postponed or deferred to 2021 due to coronavirus. For American tennis player Kristie Ahn, the severity of the situation was not lost on her - but neither was the irony. Last year was her best season to date, as she secured her first ever win at a major at the US Open, progressed to the last 16, and broke into the top 100 for the first time in her career. The 27-year-old earned her first ever wild card for Indian Wells as a result, but the tournament's cancellation - the day before it was meant to begin - stopped her in her tracks....

Kyrgios offers to drop off food to hungry people during lockdown
Kyrgios offers to drop off food to hungry people during lockdown

Controversial tennis star Nick Kyrgios has offered to deliver food to people finding themselves hungry during the coronavirus lockdown, his latest charitable effort after spearheading sporting donations to help Australia's bushfire crisis. The Canberra-based Kyrgios, infamously outspoken and known for his fiery on-court antics, said he would personally drop food on doorsteps after COVID-19 restrictions closed down entire industries, forcing huge numbers of people out of work across Australia. "Please don't go to sleep with an empty stomach," Kyrgios, the world number 40, posted on Instagram late Monday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis