Korean survivor says Japan's no-show at 'comfort women' case in Seoul lacks honor





By Hyonhee Shin

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean woman who had been forced to work in a Japanese wartime military brothel said Japan lacked honor for failing to attend a South Korean court on Wednesday as it began hearing a civil case brought against its government by a group of victims.

"I am a living proof of history," said Lee Yong-soo, the 91-year-old survivor, her voice quaking with emotion as she addressed a news conference held near the courthouse, before proceedings began.

"Japan isn't being honorable. They should show up at court if they are," Lee said, urging Japan to apologize and compensate its victims or make its case in court.

Reminders of Japan's 1910-45 colonization of the Korean peninsula are inflammatory for both sides. But, the issue of "comfort women" - Japan's euphemism for Asian women, many of whom were Korean, forced to work in its wartime brothels, is especially contentious.

When the suit was filed with the Seoul Central District Court in December 2016, there were 11 surviving "comfort women" and the families of six deceased victims in the group of plaintiffs. Nearly three years later, only five are still alive.

They are seeking compensation from the Japanese government worth 200 million won ($172,000) per victim.

The case marks another legal battle over the legacy of Japan's 1910-45 colonization, and ties between the two governments are in their worst state in decades as a result of ruling by South Korea's Supreme Court last year, when it ordered Japanese firms to compensate some wartime forced laborers.

Tokyo had refused to hear the women's case against its government, maintaining that the matter of compensation for the women was settled under the 1965 treaty that normalized relations.

The Japanese government did not send any representative to the court in Seoul, as it is not obliged to under South Korea's civil law.

Instead, Japan's foreign ministry has sent back related documents three times from 2017-18, primarily citing an international convention that allows a state to reject legal records which may breach its sovereignty or security if accepted.

"This is the first-ever trial for the surviving victims, and could be the last one given their ages," Lee Sang-hee, a lawyer for the women, told the trial.

"These survivors were victims of systematic sexual violence ... but the two countries reached an unacceptable settlement without asking the victims' opinions."

Japan's foreign ministry did not respond to a request for comment, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga reiterated the issue was "completely and finally" resolved, referring to the 1965 treaty and a 2015 deal.

"In terms of international law, the Japanese government is not subject to South Korean jurisdiction because of the principle of sovereign immunity," Suga told a regular briefing on Wednesday before the trial.

In 2015, South Korea and Japan reached a settlement under which Tokyo issued an official apology and provided 1 billion yen ($9.17 million) to a fund to help the victims.

But many victims rejected the agreement, and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who took office in 2017, dissolved the fund, effectively scrapping the deal.

Ryu Gwang-ok, another lawyer for the women, refuted Suga's remarks, saying the principle of sovereign immunity cannot be applied for "such a case of grave violations of human rights."



(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Additional reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka in Tokyo; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. envoy arrives in South Korea as Pyongyang ramps up pressure
U.S. envoy arrives in South Korea as Pyongyang ramps up pressure

Stephen Biegun, the U.S. special envoy for North Korea, arrived in South Korea on Sunday as Pyongyang stepped up pressure on Washington to make concessions to revive stalled denuclearization talks ahead of a year-end deadline. Biegun's arrival came a day after North Korea said it made another "crucial test" at a rocket launch site to develop a strategic weapon to deter U.S. nuclear threats. Analysts said such tests could help North Korea build more reliable intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) capable of reaching the United States.

North Korea claims another
North Korea claims another 'crucial test' at its rocket launch site

The test possibly involved technologies to improve intercontinental ballistic missiles that could potentially reach the continental United States.

North Korea conducted another crucial test at satellite launch site: KCNA
North Korea conducted another crucial test at satellite launch site: KCNA

North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site on Friday to bolster its strategic nuclear deterrence, North Korean state media outlet KCNA reported on Saturday. The test was conducted at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred. KCNA on Sunday said that North Korea had carried out a "very important" test on Dec. 7 at the Sohae satellite launch site, a rocket-testing facility that U.S. officials once said North Korea had promised to close.

Shinzo Abe cancels Japan-India summit amid citizenship bill violence
Shinzo Abe cancels Japan-India summit amid citizenship bill violence
  • World
  • 2019-12-13 18:14:13Z

Japan's prime minister cancelled a planned summit in India after a second day of violent unrest over the enactment of a controversial new citizenship law. Clashes erupted between police and students in Delhi, a day after two people were shot dead in widespread protests in the north eastern state of Assam. Narendra Modi's government has said its Citizenship Amendment Bill, making it easier for non-Muslim minorities from neighbouring countries to gain India citizenship, will protect those persecuted from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan. But thousands protested in Assam fearing it would encourage a wave of migrants from neighbouring Bangladesh. Elsewhere, the amendment has been...

South Korean protesters destroy portraits of U.S. ambassador
South Korean protesters destroy portraits of U.S. ambassador

Protesters angry over American demands that South Korea pay more for defense destroyed portraits of the U.S. ambassador stuck on blocks of tofu outside the U.S. embassy on Friday after police warned them against staging a more aggressive demonstration. U.S. Ambassador Harry Harris has become a political lightning rod for South Koreans angered by U.S. President Donald Trump's push to get South Korea to pay billions of dollars more toward maintaining the 28,500 American troops stationed there.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America