Kevin Harvick calls for eliminating Clash, combining with All-Star Race




  • In Sports
  • 2019-02-11 19:42:06Z
  • By NBC Sports
 

Kevin Harvick believes Sunday's crash-marred, rain-plagued Clash should be the last edition of the exhibition race that kicks off the Cup season at Daytona International Speedway.

During his weekly "Happy Hours" program Monday on SiriusXM Satellite Radio's NASCAR Channel, the 2014 series champion laid out his vision how NASCAR could change the event.

"The Clash is one of those things that I think we could probably eliminate as we go forward and look at the new schedule," the driver of the No. 4 Ford for Stewart-Haas Racing said. "The reason I say that is you're trying to bring a lot of guys into the race.

"Originally when The Clash was brought about, it was about the pole winners and past winners of that particular race. They had a lot of guys that weren't pole winners. And you have guys in the playoffs that were in the race."

The inaugural Clash in 1979 featured a nine-driver field. As eligibility was expanded beyond pole winners and previous winner of the event, the field grew. There were 20 cars in the 2019 Clash, which peaked at 28 entries for the 2009 race (which was based on manufacturers).

Harvick suggested taking the two drivers with the most poles and giving them spots in the All-Star Race.

"To me, it would be good to combine with the All-Star Race," he said. "Maybe you take two positions in the All-Star Race because you're always on the edge of, 'Is that enough cars? Is that not enough cars?' But take The Clash away. Make it a points race. Or make it one of the weekends we take off the schedule."

NASCAR is in the midst of a reported overhaul of the 2020 schedule.

Harvick also cited another advantage for dumping the Clash, which resulted in nearly two dozen cars being wrecked over practice and the race the past two days.


"As we talk about money and saving team owners money, Joe Gibbs wrecked five cars," said Harvick, who crashed in practice and the race. "Three hundred thousand dollars a car adds up pretty quick."


COMMENTS

More Related News

Flannel is in: First look at Harvick
Flannel is in: First look at Harvick's Talladega paint scheme

Stewart-Haas Racing revealed a glimpse of perhaps the comfiest paint scheme in NASCAR on Thursday. Yes, Kevin Harvick will again sport the Busch Flannel Ford Mustang next weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. You wanted it. You got it! Flannel is back, baby! ???? @KevinHarvick will race the No. 4 BUSCHHHHH

O
O'Donnell: 'We are lucky as fans' to see what Kyle Busch is doing

NASCAR's Steve O'Donnell talks about Kyle Busch's run and his 200th win achievement that was accomplished earlier in the year.

NASCAR to debut Gen-7 Cup Series parts in Charlotte All-Star race
NASCAR to debut Gen-7 Cup Series parts in Charlotte All-Star race

NASCAR will use its non-championship Charlotte All-Star race to debut two parts from its planned 2021 Cup Series Gen-7 car

NASCAR Xfinity Series to takeover streets of Philadelphia
NASCAR Xfinity Series to takeover streets of Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. (April 17, 2019) -- For the fourth-consecutive year, Comcast, Pocono Raceway and Dover International Speedway are coming together to bring NASCAR to the city of Philadelphia on Tuesday, May 14 and Wednesday, May 15. The NASCAR Xfinity Series Philadelphia Takeover will bring 18 drivers

NASCAR driver Michael Annett following Joe Pavelski, Sharks in NHL playoffs
NASCAR driver Michael Annett following Joe Pavelski, Sharks in NHL playoffs

Annett, who picked up his first career Xfinity Series win at Daytona in February, played with the Sharks captain in 2003-04.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Sports

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.