Kavanaugh Tells Senate He Won't Withdraw Nomination Over Sexual Assault Allegations




 

Brett Kavanaugh said that he "will not be intimidated into withdrawing" his nomination to the Supreme Court, according to a new letter he addressed to the Senate Judiciary Committee the day after a second sexual assault allegation against him emerged.

In the letter dated Monday, Kavanaugh emphasized that he has complied with the "exhaustive process," has answered more written queries than has been submitted to all previous nominees combined and has multiple witnesses who confirm his version of events.

"There is now a frenzy to come up with something - anything - that will block this process and a vote on my confirmation from occurring," he wrote, alluding to Democrats' demands that a full investigation into the two allegations take place before he and his accusers testify on the events and before they vote on his nomination.

"These are smears, pure and simple," he continued. "And they debase our public discourse. But they are also a threat to any man or woman who wishes to serve our country. Such grotesque and obvious character assassination - if allowed to succeed - will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from service."

Kavanaugh stands accused of sexual assault by two women: Christine Blasey Ford, who said she feared Kavanaugh "might inadvertently kill" her as he held her down and groped her during a party when they were both in high school in the early 1980s; and Deborah Ramirez, who came forward Sunday with allegations that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her and thrust his penis in her face during a party when they were students at Yale University.

Kavanaugh will get a chance to defend himself against the allegations on Thursday during another round of questioning before the Senate committee.

The same day Kavanaugh sent the letter, his accusers' supporters engaged in a national walkout, wore black and congregated in public spaces.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Christine Blasey Ford Emerges to Honor Gymnast Who Spoke Out Against Larry Nassar
Christine Blasey Ford Emerges to Honor Gymnast Who Spoke Out Against Larry Nassar

Christine Blasey Ford made a rare appearance when she presented the Sports Illustrated Inspiration of the Year award to Rachael Denhollander

Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim
Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim

Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim

Trump administration official defends tear gas use at Mexico border
Trump administration official defends tear gas use at Mexico border

"Pepper spray and CS gas are authorized to address assaultive behavior," Kevin McAleenan, commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection said.

Trump administration asks top court to restore asylum order
Trump administration asks top court to restore asylum order
  • US
  • 2018-12-12 00:13:54Z

The U.S. Justice Department asked the court to lift a temporary restraining order against the asylum rules issued by San Francisco-based U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar. Trump has taken a hard line toward legal and illegal immigration since taking office last year. Citing what he called an overwhelmed immigration system, Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that authorities process asylum claims only for migrants crossing the southern U.S. border at an official port of entry.

Trump appeals asylum ban to Supreme Court
Trump appeals asylum ban to Supreme Court

President Donald Trump's administration asked the Supreme Court Tuesday to allow him to enforce a ban on granting asylum to illegal immigrants, after suffering two lower court setbacks. The Justice Department told the high court that the ban, announced by Trump on November 11, needed to be enforced immediately to deter thousands of Central Americans now at the US southern border from crossing into the country illegally in search of asylum. Eleven days after Trump announced the controversial action, US District Judge Jon Tigar in San Francisco issued a temporary restraining order against its implementation, while the full case faces legal challenges.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.