Judge tosses Stormy Daniels' defamation suit against Trump




 

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge dismissed Stormy Daniels' defamation lawsuit against President Donald Trump on Monday, saying the president made a "hyperbolic statement" against a political adversary when he tweeted about a composite sketch the porn actress' lawyer released.

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, sued Trump in April after he said a composite sketch of a man she said threatened her in 2011 to keep quiet about an alleged affair with the real estate mogul was a "con job."

Trump tweeted that the man was "nonexistent" and that Daniels was playing the "fake news media for fools." He retweeted a side-by-side photo comparing the sketch with a photo of Daniels' husband.

In an order handed down Monday, U.S. District Judge S. James Otero said Trump's statement was protected speech under the First Amendment.

Daniels' attorney, Michael Avenatti, vowed to appeal the decision and said he was confident it would be reversed.

"There is something really rich in Trump relying on the First Amendment to justify defaming a woman," Avenatti said.

But the president's lawyer immediately hailed the ruling as a "total victory" for Trump.

"No amount of spin or commentary by Stormy Daniels or her lawyer, Mr. Avenatti, can truthfully characterize today's ruling in any way other than total victory for President Trump and total defeat for Stormy Daniels," Trump's attorney, Charles Harder, said in a statement.

Daniels was paid $130,000 as part of a nondisclosure agreement signed days before the 2016 election and is suing to dissolve the contract. Daniels has argued the agreement should be invalidated because Trump's personal lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, signed it, but Trump did not.

Lawyers for Trump and Cohen now say the deal that paid Daniels $130,000 to keep quiet was invalid, and they won't sue her for breaking it. Trump's attorney said the president never considered himself as a party to the agreement and doesn't dispute Daniels' assertion that the contract isn't valid.

While Trump and Cohen want the court to toss out the litigation as moot, Daniels' lawyer wants to keep the case alive.

That case, which is separate from the defamation claim, is continuing.

___

Associated Press writer Catherine Lucey contributed to this report.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Report: Ivanka Trump used personal email for government work
Report: Ivanka Trump used personal email for government work

Ivanka Trump, the president's daughter and a top White House adviser, sent hundreds of emails about government business from a personal email account last year, The Washington Post reported Monday. The emails were sent to White House aides, Cabinet members and Ivanka Trump's assistants, many

Republican Scott secures Florida U.S. Senate seat after recount
Republican Scott secures Florida U.S. Senate seat after recount
  • US
  • 2018-11-18 21:46:43Z

Rick Scott, Florida's outgoing governor, was declared the winner on Sunday of his hard-fought U.S. Senate race against incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson following a hand recount of ballots, giving Republicans control of both of the state's Senate seats for the first time since the 19th century. In the recount of the Nov. 6 election, Scott won by 10,033 votes out of 8.19 million cast statewide, Florida elections officials said. Scott took 50.05 percent, compared to 49.93 percent for Nelson, they added.

The Latest: Trump says full report on Khashoggi coming soon
The Latest: Trump says full report on Khashoggi coming soon
  • World
  • 2018-11-18 00:49:39Z

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi (all times local):

As Florida recount wraps up, Democrat Gillum concedes
As Florida recount wraps up, Democrat Gillum concedes

Democrat Andrew Gillum ended his hard-fought campaign for Florida governor Saturday with just hours remaining for counties to turn in official recount results, conceding to a Republican whose party has held that office since 1999. Gillum, in a video he posted on Facebook, congratulated Republican Ron

Trump visits as California struggles to locate 1,000 people
Trump visits as California struggles to locate 1,000 people

PARADISE, Calif. (AP) - President Donald Trump heads to Northern California on Saturday to see firsthand the grief and devastation from the deadliest U.S. wildfire in a century amid confusion over how many people remain unaccounted for.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Entertainment

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.