Judge orders all federal prosecutors in Manhattan to read opinion on withholding evidence




  • In US
  • 2020-09-16 20:52:59Z
  • By Politico
 

A federal judge has ordered all federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York to read a ruling she issued Wednesday that blasts prosecutors for their handling of evidence in a criminal case involving alleged violations of sanctions against Iran.

U.S. District Court Judge Allison Nathan also said she was unsatisfied with the completeness of the government's account of why prosecutors failed to turn over one key piece of evidence to the defense until the middle of trial, with one government attorney discussing with colleagues a plan to " bury" the previously undisclosed letter among other documents being emailed to defense lawyers.

"No responsible Government lawyer should strategize how to 'bury' a document that was not, but should have been, previously disclosed to the defense. A responsible Government lawyer should-at a minimum-forthrightly and truthfully reveal late disclosures to the defense," Nathan wrote, emphatically disagreeing with the conclusion from U.S. Attorney's Office leaders that there was nothing to "condemn" in the prosecutors' actions.

"This Court disagrees and hereby strongly condemns this conduct," Nathan wrote in her 34-page opinion.

Nathan called some of the omissions by prosecutors "shocking." And she expressed the greatest concern over the explanation prosecutors gave her after the defense for Iranian banker Ali Sadr questioned the late disclosure of the letter prosecutors discussed burying.

"The Court finds that the Government's representation was misleading, as it implied that it had explicitly informed the defense that [the exhibit] was being disclosed for the first time. Indeed, the Court was misled," the judge wrote.

A jury convicted Sadr in March of five felony counts related to the alleged sanctions violations. However, in June, prosecutors abruptly sought to abandon the case due to the evidence issues that emerged.

The U.S. Attorney's Office has now acknowledged that a draft of a letter sent to the judge indicated the document was not turned over to Sadr's defense until the middle of the trial, but the letter from prosecutors was later revised to use more opaque language.

"It is the fervent hope of the Court that no sanctions are necessary. But it is the firm view of the Court that if Government lawyers acted in bad faith by knowingly withholding exculpatory material from the defense or intentionally made a misleading statement to the Court, then some sanction or referral to the Grievance Committee of the Southern District of New York would be appropriate," the judge added.

In an unusual step, Nathan ordered the prosecutors involved to submit sworn declarations by Oct. 16 answering various questions about their handling of the disputed exhibit, its belated disclosure and the court's subsequent inquiry.

"The Court cannot yet firmly conclude based on the existing factual record whether any of the Government lawyers deliberately withheld exculpatory information," wrote Nathan, an appointee of President Barack Obama.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Manhattan declined to comment on the order.

The problems related to the Sadr case took place while the office was under the direction of U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman. He left his post in June after a bizarre episode in which Attorney General William Barr announced that Berman was stepping down, only to have Berman announce that he was not resigning.

Democrats and former prosecutors said Barr's move appeared to be intended to give President Donald Trump and his allies more control over politically sensitive investigations in the lead-up to the November election.

Barr had planned to move Securities and Exchange Commission chief Jay Clayton into the job, but after the reshuffle drew fire, the attorney general agreed to leave Berman's deputy, Audrey Strauss, in the U.S. Attorney role in an acting capacity.

COMMENTS

More Related News

A federal judge has temporarily blocked the Trump administration
A federal judge has temporarily blocked the Trump administration's WeChat download ban

A federal judge in California on Saturday issued a temporary injunction against the president's ban on the Chinese-owned messaging app WeChat.

Iran
Iran's rial hits record low as tension spikes with the U.S.
  • World
  • 2020-09-20 11:11:53Z

The Iranian rial fell to a record low against the U.S. dollar on the unofficial market on Sunday, a day after the U.S. President Donald Trump's administration declared all United Nations sanctions on Tehran had been restored. The dollar was offered for as much as 273,000 rials, up from 267,800 rials on Saturday, according to foreign exchange site Bonbast.com, which tracks the unofficial market. Iran has dismissed the U.S. move as "void and illegal" and U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the Security Council on Saturday he cannot take any action on the U.S. declaration because "there would appear to be uncertainty" on the issue.

US has restored UN sanctions on Iran, says Pompeo
US has restored UN sanctions on Iran, says Pompeo
  • World
  • 2020-09-20 02:41:51Z

The Trump administration declared on Saturday that all UN sanctions against Iran have been restored, a move most of the rest of the world rejects as illegal and sets the stage for an ugly showdown at the world body ahead of its annual General Assembly. The administration said that its triggering of the "snapback" mechanism in the UN Security Council resolution that enshrined the 2015 Iran nuclear deal had taken effect at 8pm Eastern Time. That is 30 days after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notified the council that Iran was in "significant non-performance" with its obligations under the accord, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). "The United...

Trump
Trump's 'maximum pressure' peaks just before election
  • World
  • 2020-09-19 11:00:47Z

The president is promoting himself as a Middle East peacemaker just as he amps up pressure on Iran after dismantling a landmark international agreement with the country.

US to break with UN security council and reimpose Iran snapback sanctions
US to break with UN security council and reimpose Iran snapback sanctions
  • World
  • 2020-09-19 09:30:12Z

Officials says they will launch new measures on Monday despite overwhelming oppositionThe US will break with almost every other UN security council member state including its closest allies on Saturday night by declaring UN sanctions back in effect on Iran.Administration officials say they will launch a raft of new punitive measures on Monday, which some observers believe may be aimed at seeking to provoke a confrontation with Tehran in the run up to the US election.The Trump administration has said it will consider UN sanctions, mostly involving the arms trade, as having resumed at midnight GMT on Saturday night, and has threatened to take new measures to enforce them.The sanctions were...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US