Judge backs off comments to prosecutors in ex-Trump aide Manafort's trial




 

By Karen Freifeld and Sarah N. Lynch

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The judge in the trial of U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort expressed contrition on Thursday to jurors for harsh commentary directed at prosecutors.

"I may have made a mistake. It has nothing to do with your consideration in this case," U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis said as the trial went into its eighth day in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia.

Ellis has repeatedly prodded prosecutors to move swiftly while seemingly giving Manafort's defense team more latitude. He also has repeatedly made comments that some legal experts said may prejudice the jury against the prosecution.

Manafort has pleaded not guilty to 18 counts of bank fraud, tax fraud and failing to disclose foreign bank accounts. He is the first person to be tried on charges brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

On Thursday, prosecutors in a legal filing asked the judge to correct some statements he had made on Wednesday.

Ellis had chastised the prosecution for allowing IRS agent Michael Welch to be present during court proceedings before taking his turn to testify.

Ellis has said he did not like having witnesses listen to the proceedings before they take the stand but the prosecution had previously requested case agents and experts be allowed. The prosecutors on Wednesday said Ellis had approved having them sit in, but the judge screamed at the lawyers in front of the jury, '"Don't ever do that again."

On Thursday morning, Mueller's team requested that Ellis issue a "curative instruction" to the jury, saying he has "mistakenly faulted" the prosecution. In a filing to the court, prosecutors said that on the first day of the trial, they had told Ellis that Welch would remain in the courtroom, and he had not objected then.

Some lawyers following the trial also criticized Ellis for not reacting more strongly to defense lawyer Kevin Downing's attempt to ask the government's star witness Rick Gates on Wednesday whether he had told prosecutors about his four extramarital affairs.

According to a court transcript, Downing had agreed in a conference on Tuesday with the judge and prosecutors not to raise the subject with Gates, a longtime business partner of Manafort's.

Prosecutors objected and Gates never answered the question.

Downing argued it was fair game because Gates had suggested on the stand he only had one affair. Gates, a married father of four, had testified he used his firm's money to carry on the affair.

Ellis sustained the objection on the grounds that Gates' affairs were irrelevant but did not rebuke Downing for mentioning the issue before the jury.

"It was highly inappropriate to raise the other affairs, and the judge's response was very generous," said Gene Rossi, a former prosecutor who has been attending the trial as a spectator. "In my experience, another judge would have cut his head off."

In testimony on Thursday, mortgage assistant Melinda James of Citizens Bank told the court that Manafort lied about the status of two properties he owned in order to obtain a $3.4 million loan.

Manafort and Gates hid the fact that one property had a mortgage against it and falsely claimed that another property was a second residence for Manafort and his daughter, James said. In fact, she said, she discovered that the second property "was listed for rent."

The prosecution has said it expected to wrap up its case by week's end. Manafort's lawyers have not yet indicated whether they plan to call witnesses as part of his defense. Their legal strategy so far has hinged on attacking the credibility and character of Gates.

(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch, Warren Strobel, Karen Freifeld, and Nathan Layne; editing by Anthony Lin and Grant McCool)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump Campaign Chair 'Not Above The Law,' Mueller Team Says As Manafort Trial Closes
Trump Campaign Chair 'Not Above The Law,' Mueller Team Says As Manafort Trial Closes

ALEXANDRIA, Va. ― A prosecutor with Robert Mueller's special counsel team

Manafort seeks acquittal as tax, bank fraud trial moves to defense
Manafort seeks acquittal as tax, bank fraud trial moves to defense

Lawyers for Paul Manafort will have the opportunity on Tuesday to put up their defense, a day after U.S. prosecutors rested their case against the former campaign chairman for President Donald Trump in his trial over alleged tax and bank fraud. Manafort's legal team have asked for the charges to be thrown out, claiming in a court filing on Monday that prosecutors under U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller failed to show the necessary willfulness to break the law. Judge T.S. Ellis said he would talk to Manafort on Tuesday about whether he wanted to take the stand in his defense, a move legal experts say is highly unlikely.

Three-year-old found at squalid desert hideout died in 'demonic' ritual
Three-year-old found at squalid desert hideout died in 'demonic' ritual

A three-year-old boy found buried at a New Mexico desert compound died in a ritual to "cast out demonic spirits," but his extended family believed he would "return as Jesus" to identify "corrupt" targets for them to attack, prosecutors said in court on Monday. Prosecutors' account of an exorcism-like ritual, allegations of weapons training for children and references to martyrdom and conspiracy were aimed at persuading a judge to deny bond for the five adults charged with child abuse in the case. However, state District Judge Sarah Backus said at the end of the four-hour detention hearing she remained unconvinced that the defendants posed a danger to the...

Manafort trial turns from prosecution
Manafort trial turns from prosecution's case to his defense

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - Prosecutors rested their tax evasion and bank fraud case in the trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, closing two weeks of testimony that depicted him as using millions of dollars hidden in offshore accounts to fund a luxurious lifestyle - and later obtaining millions more in bank loans under false pretenses.

New Mexico family saw dead boy as guide for future attacks: prosecutors
New Mexico family saw dead boy as guide for future attacks: prosecutors
  • US
  • 2018-08-14 00:50:22Z

A 3-year-old boy found buried at a New Mexico desert compound died in a ritual to "cast out demonic spirits," but his extended family believed he would "return as Jesus" to identify "corrupt" targets for them to attack, prosecutors said on Monday. Authorities unearthed the boy's remains at a ramshackle compound north of Taos, three days after an Aug. 3 raid in which investigators found 11 other children alive but malnourished and arrested five adults on charges of abusing them. At least some of the children, ranging from 1 to 15 years of age, were given weapons training to defend the compound against a possible FBI raid, the court was told.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.