Joint Taliban, Islamic State raid killed disarmed Afghan fighters, civilians: U.N.




  • In World
  • 2017-08-20 11:25:12Z
  • By By Josh Smith
Graves are prepared for the burial of civilians, who were killed by insurgents at Mirza Olang village, in Sar-e Pul province
Graves are prepared for the burial of civilians, who were killed by insurgents at Mirza Olang village, in Sar-e Pul province  

By Josh Smith

KABUL (Reuters) - A combined force of Taliban and "self-proclaimed" Islamic State militants killed at least 36 people in what may amount to war crimes during a raid on a northern Afghan town this month, the United Nations said on Sunday.

The dead in the town of Mirza Olang included civilians and pro-government fighters who had been disarmed before they were shot, a preliminary U.N. report concluded.

The killings occurred during fighting between Aug. 3 and 5 after the militants attacked the town, which lies in Sar-e Pul province. At the time Afghan officials put the death toll at 62, with at least 36 bodies recovered from mass graves last week.

A spokesman for the Taliban called the U.N. report "baseless allegations" and "false claims".

Zabihullah Mujahid repeated an earlier statement that the Taliban had killed 28 pro-government militia fighters, but no civilians were harmed. He also denied that Islamic State was involved in the fighting.

Islamic State issued a statement last week saying it had led the attack and killed about 54 Shi'ite Muslims.

While U.N. investigators noted in the report that a commander implicated in the raid has claimed allegiance to Islamic State, they said they were "not aware of any information supporting his links" to the group.

They said they had confirmed that as many as 27 civilians were killed, including one woman, four boys under the age of 17, and 13 men over the age of 60. "These killings, corroborated by multiple credible sources, constitute violations of international humanitarian law and may amount to war crimes," the report concluded.

Also among the dead were at least seven pro-government militia fighters, one local policeman, and an Afghan army soldier.

Many of the casualties occurred early on Aug. 5, after the last government checkpoints in the town had fallen and residents and security forces alike were trying to escape, the report said.

At one point, militants captured a group of people trying to flee. After separating the men from the women and children, the militants took the men - who included the civilians and disarmed security forces - to another location and shot at least 18 dead, according to witnesses interviewed by the U.N..

The report said it was unable to verify reports of sexual violence, and did not find evidence to support claims that many of the victims were beheaded.

(Additional reporting by Mirwais Harooni.; Editing by David Stamp)

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. general sets two-year goal for driving back Afghan Taliban
U.S. general sets two-year goal for driving back Afghan Taliban
  • US
  • 2017-11-20 17:46:01Z

By Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top U.S. general in Afghanistan said on Monday he believes he could help Afghan forces drive back the Taliban enough to control at least 80 percent of the country within two years, compared with about two-thirds today. General John Nicholson, citing counter-insurgency doctrine, said gaining 80 percent control of the country would represent a turning point in the 16-year-old conflict, which has become the longest U.S war. "This we believe is the critical mass necessary to drive the enemy to irrelevance, meaning they're living in these remote outlying areas, or they reconcile, or they die," Nicholson told a Pentagon news briefing...

U.S., Afghan forces strike opium factories to curb Taliban funds
U.S., Afghan forces strike opium factories to curb Taliban funds

By Girish Gupta KABUL (Reuters) - U.S. and Afghan forces have launched joint attacks on Taliban opium factories to try to curb the insurgent group's economic lifeline, officials from both countries said on Monday. U.S. Army General John Nicholson showed videos at a press conference of targeted aerial strikes against what he described as Taliban drug factories. "Last night we conducted strikes in northern Helmand to hit the Taliban where it hurts, in their narcotics financing," said Nicholson, flanked by Afghan Army Lieutenant General Mohammad Sharif Yaftali.

After fall of last town, IS loses grip over Iraqis
After fall of last town, IS loses grip over Iraqis

Rawa (Iraq) (AFP) - "Islamic State - Euphrates Province" reads an abandoned sign covered by dust and sand in the Iraqi town of Rawa. A day after government forces ousted the Islamic State group from the last town it held in the country, the banner is now just a reminder of the vast "caliphate" the jihadists once ruled. Under the jihadists' rule the roughly 20,000 inhabitants of Rawa and the surrounding hamlets had to gather at a prefabricated building at the entrance to the town.

Russia again vetoes extension of chemical experts in Syria
Russia again vetoes extension of chemical experts in Syria

Russia again vetoed a U.N. resolution Friday that would extend the mandate of the expert body charged with determining responsibility for chemical weapons attacks in Syria, dooming its operation and making ...

Russia again vetoes bid to renew Syria gas attacks probe
Russia again vetoes bid to renew Syria gas attacks probe
  • World
  • 2017-11-18 03:56:23Z

Russia cast a second veto in as many days at the United Nations Security Council on Friday to block the renewal of a probe to identify the perpetrators of chemical weapons attacks in Syria. A draft resolution put forward by Japan would have extended the UN-led Joint Investigative Mechanism (JIM) for

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.