Jim Carrey Reveals Why He Didn't Want to Be in the Hollywood 'Business Anymore'





Jim Carrey is opening up about his disenchantment with Hollywood.

In a wide-ranging cover story for The Hollywood Reporter, Carrey, 56, discussed his long retreat from the entertainment industry.

"I just didn't want to be in the business anymore," the Dumb and Dumber star said. "I didn't like what was happening, the corporations taking over and all that. And maybe it's because I felt pulled toward a different type of creative outlet and I really liked the control of painting - of not having a committee in the way telling me what the idea must be to appeal to a four-quadrant whatever."

RELATED: Jim Carrey Says '40% of the US Doesn't Care' If President Trump 'Kidnaps' Babies

Carrey is returning to television in Showtime's Kidding. "I'm not back in the same way," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't feel I'm little Jim trying to hang on to a place in the stratosphere anymore - I don't feel like I'm trying to hold on to anything."

He has spent much of his time recently creating political cartoons that criticize Donald Trump's administration - from the Space Force to his meeting with Kim Jong Un to the president's alleged affair with Stormy Daniels.

Earlier this month, Carrey told reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that Trump "probably loves them, on some level."

He reflected on his penchant for creating art to the magazine. "I didn't know why I was doing it initially and, as usual, a year or two later, I wake up and realize that I've been given a spiritual answer through it," he commented. "I've been on the journey of identity, of who am I, and that's it. That's the question. If there's an 'it' in this world, it's 'Who am I?' There is no 'I,' and yet it has a shape. See what I mean?"

RELATED: Watch Jim Carrey Explain His Love for Comedian Garry Shandling in New HBO Documentary

He also discussed why he wants to make a political statement: "To watch half the country ignore what is quite obviously right in front of them, I liken it to standing on the railroad tracks cheering for the locomotive that's about to run you down. 'Look at it, look how beautiful it is. Man, it's really fast. It's getting here quickly….'"

He continued, "When it's all said and done and the Feds finally close in and he hands over the keys to Trump Tower and Mar-a-Lago and whatever else he has, there's going to be a celebration in this country such as has never been seen before. I guarantee it."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump
Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump

The Trump administration is exploring the idea of forming a special committee to look at climate change and security risks, with the effort being coordinated by a 79-year-old physicist who rejects mainstream climate science. A memo to those federal officials asks them to direct any questions to William Happer, a member of Trump's National Security Council and a well-known critic of mainstream climate science findings.

Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds
Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds

The nation's demographic shift has emboldened white supremacists, the Southern Poverty Law Center finds in its annual survey.

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump
Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump 'Embarrassment'

Bernie Sanders, the independent Vermont senator who finished runner up to Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, on Tuesday announced a second White House bid. "I think the current occupant of the White House is an embarrassment to our country," Sanders said in an interview

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Celebrity

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.