Israeli jets hit targets in Syria to prevent Iranian drone attack: army




Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, pictured August 8, warned arch-foe Iran it had no immunity from his state
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, pictured August 8, warned arch-foe Iran it had no immunity from his state's military  

Jerusalem (AFP) - The Israeli air force struck in Syria to prevent an Iranian force from launching an attack on the Jewish state with drones armed with explosives, the army said Sunday.

While Israel operates regularly in Syria, it rarely acknowledges its actions so swiftly, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warning arch-foe Iran it had no immunity from his state's military.

In a briefing to reporters, military spokesman Jonathan Conricus said that late Saturday the Israeli air force "was able to thwart an Iranian attempt led by the Quds force from Syria to conduct an attack on Israeli targets in northern Israel using killer drones."

According to Conricus, the Israeli attack took place in Aqraba, southeast of Damascus, and targeted "a number of terror targets and military facilities belonging to the Quds force as well as Shiite militias."

The army had on Thursday prevented an earlier attempt to launch the drone attack, Conricus said, without providing further details.

"The threat was significant and these killer drones were capable of striking targets with significant capacity," he said.

A Syrian military source quoted by official Sana news agency said that "At 2330 (2030 GMT) anti-aircraft defences detected enemy targets from Golan heading towards the area around Damascus".

"The aggression was immediately confronted and so far the majority of the enemy Israeli missiles have been destroyed before reaching their targets," the source added.

- 'Iran has no immunity anywhere' -

An AFP correspondent in Damascus heard several large explosions before Sana announced the defensive action.

"The aggression is still going on and the air defence is able to counter the targets, dropping most of them" in the south of the country, the Sana agency said.

Since the beginning of the war in Syria in 2011, Israel has conducted hundreds of strikes in Syria, most of them against what it says are Iranian and Hezbollah targets.

Hezbollah is a Lebanese Shiite group that supports Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, who is also backed by Tehran.

Israel says it is determined to prevent its arch-foe Iran from entrenching itself militarily in Syria, where Tehran backs Assad's regime.

In a statement issued just minutes after the Israeli army announced its attack, Netanyahu hailed the military's "major operational effort" in thwarting the attack planned by "the Iranian Quds force and Shiite militias."

"Iran has no immunity anywhere," Netanyahu said. "Our forces operate in every sector against the Iranian aggression."

Military spokesman Conricus said Israel held both Iran and the Syrian regime responsible for the planned drone attack, noting that forces in northern Israel were on "elevated readiness to respond to any development".

The Jewish state insists that it has the right to continue to target positions held by Iran and its ally Hezbollah out of self-defence.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump imposed sanctions on Turkey only after advisers explained to him the obvious consequences of letting it invade Syria, report says
Trump imposed sanctions on Turkey only after advisers explained to him the obvious consequences of letting it invade Syria, report says

President Donald Trump has defended pulling back US forces in Syria, but he was warned Monday that the decision could yet cause further catastrophe.

Democrats, Republicans to seek reversal of Trump Syria pullback: Pelosi
Democrats, Republicans to seek reversal of Trump Syria pullback: Pelosi

The top congressional Democrat said Monday she had agreed with Republicans on the need for a resolution to overturn Donald Trump's "dangerous" troop withdrawal from northern Syria, as the US president threatened tough sanctions against Ankara. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also said congressional

Trump tells Pentagon to begin withdrawing remaining troops from northern Syria
Trump tells Pentagon to begin withdrawing remaining troops from northern Syria

The United States is poised to move about 1,000 U.S. troops from northern Syria amid an ongoing Turkish incursion into the region, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday, calling the situation "untenable" for U.S. forces. The pull-back of troops from the region dovetails with President Donald Trump's long-standing desire for the United States to extract itself from foreign conflicts. It comes after Trump a week ago withdrew some U.S. troops deployed to support Kurdish forces in the fight against Islamic State.

Esper says Trump orders US troops to leave northern Syria
Esper says Trump orders US troops to leave northern Syria
  • World
  • 2019-10-13 14:32:40Z

Amid growing chaos in Syria, President Donald Trump has ordered all U.S. troops to withdraw from the country's north to avoid a bloody conflict between Turkey and U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters that "gets worse by the hour," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday. Esper, who spoke in two TV interviews, did not say the approximately 1,000 U.S. troops in Syria are leaving the country entirely. Trump's national security team planned to meet later Sunday to assess the situation, Esper said, as U.S. officials continue to urge Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to halt his incursion.

Mattis: Trump
Mattis: Trump's troop pullout will lead to 'disarray' in Syria and Isis resurgence
  • World
  • 2019-10-13 13:44:11Z

* Ex-defense secretary calls resurgence of Isis 'a given' * Kurds say 785 Isis affiliates escape camp after Turkish shellingJames Mattis declined the opportunity to directly criticise his former boss, Donald Trump. Photograph: Leah Millis/ReutersThe former defense secretary James Mattis has said Donald Trump's abrupt withdrawal of US troops from the Syria-Turkey border has increased the chances of a resurgence of Islamic State. But the retired general passed up an opportunity to directly criticise the president."If we don't keep the pressure on," Mattis told NBC's Meet the Press, "then Isis will resurge. It's absolutely a given that they will come back."After Mattis's remarks were...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.