Israel welcomes Belgian parade's removal from UNESCO list




  • In World
  • 2019-12-14 19:35:56Z
  • By Associated Press

JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel on Saturday welcomed a decision by the U.N.'s educational, scientific and cultural agency to drop a famous Belgian carnival off its heritage list after protests over displays of anti-Semitism.

Israel's rare appreciation of UNESCO came a day after the organization removed the Aalst carnival from its Intangible Cultural Heritage list.

The festivity was criticized by anti-discrimination groups after this year's edition included a float depicting Jews with side curls and over sized noses atop piles of money.

"The removal of the carnival sends a strong message that such antisemitic expressions have no place in the organization and in the world," Israel's Foreign Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

Foreign Affairs Minister Israel Katz also praised the decision to exclude the festival and called on the Belgian government "to come out clearly and concisely against the inclusion of antisemitic displays in the carnival." He added that "the scourge of antisemitism threatens not only the Jewish people, but every society and country in which it exists."

The festival was expelled during an annual meeting of a 24-nation committee in Bogota, Columbia, to review nominations. The Belgian delegates declined to react to the decision, but it was the Belgian government which requested the move.

The ministry said this year's edition of the parade included "numerous vitriolic displays of antisemitism," prompting it to lobby for the removal.

Israel and the United States quit UNESCO at the start of 2019, saying the organization was fostering anti-Israel bias.

COMMENTS

More Related News

UN pledges to help Mali rebuild heritage sites damaged in conflict
UN pledges to help Mali rebuild heritage sites damaged in conflict
  • World
  • 2020-08-04 20:45:11Z

Parts of the life and culture of the country's Land of the Dogon have been destroyed in conflict.

Beirut explosions: Many feared dead in
Beirut explosions: Many feared dead in 'national disaster' - latest news and video

At least 78 dead and more than 4,000 injured, officials say Fears that thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate were detonated Everything we know so far 'It was like a nuclear explosion': How terrified residents fled the fireball Lebanon's PM: 'Those responsible will pay the price' Massive explosions shook Lebanon's capital Beirut on Tuesday in a blast that has killed 78, with many more fatalities feared to come. Health Minister Hamad Hasan said an explosion in the centre of the city had injured at least 4,000 people according to "preliminary estimates" and caused extensive damage, Lebanon's LBC television channel quoted the minister as saying. He said that those who can leave the...

Israeli military strike likely kills 4 militants from Syria
Israeli military strike likely kills 4 militants from Syria
  • World
  • 2020-08-03 06:14:05Z

The Israeli military said it thwarted an infiltration attempt from Syria early Monday, likely killing four suspected militants it accused of trying to plant explosives. Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, a military spokesman, said Israeli troops earlier had been in ambush following "irregular" activity in the Golan Heights. Israeli troops opened fire on the suspected militants, some of whom were armed, after observing them placing the explosives on the ground, Conricus said.

Israeli aircraft hit Syria after squad tried to bomb border fence, military says
Israeli aircraft hit Syria after squad tried to bomb border fence, military says

Israeli aircraft attacked targets in Syria on Monday, the military said, describing the strikes as retaliation for an attempted bombing of the border fence by an enemy squad. Tensions have risen along Israel's northern front since a fighter with the Iranian-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah was killed in an apparent Israeli air strike in Syria two weeks ago. Monday's strikes hit Syrian observation posts, intelligence collection systems, anti-aircraft batteries and command-and-control bases, an Israeli military statement said.

Omar, seeking 2nd term, is targeted for her celebrity
Omar, seeking 2nd term, is targeted for her celebrity

As Democrat Antone Melton-Meaux meandered through racks of headscarves and clouds of spice and pepper, he carried a pointed message to the voters he courted at the city's largest Somali market: I want to focus on the work, not being famous. Omar, a liberal Democrat, made history two years ago as the first Somali-American elected to Congress and went on to make countless headlines for making controversial statements on Israel, for tangling with President Donald Trump and for a personal life that became tabloid fodder. All the attention has helped make Omar a progressive star, but it's also drawn criticism and a surprisingly strong primary challenger in Melton-Meaux.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World