Iran rejects Macron call for talks on Iranian missiles




FILE PHOTO: Supreme leader display seen at Baharestan Square in Tehran
FILE PHOTO: Supreme leader display seen at Baharestan Square in Tehran  

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected on Sunday a call by French President Emmanuel Macron for talks on Tehran's ballistic missiles, saying they were defensive and unrelated to a nuclear agreement with world powers.

On Thursday, Macron said during a visit to Dubai that he was "very concerned" by Iran's ballistic missile program, mentioning a missile fired from Yemen and intercepted by Saudi Arabia earlier this month. He raised the prospect of possible sanctions with regard to those activities.

"There are negotiations we need to start on Iran's ballistic missiles," Macron said.

But Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi rejected that possibility. "France is fully aware of our country's firm position that Iran's defense affairs are not negotiable," he said.

"We have told French officials repeatedly that the nuclear deal is not negotiable and other issues will not be allowed to be added to it," Qassemi said, according to a statement on the ministry's website.

The United States accused Iran on Tuesday of supplying Yemen's Houthi rebels with a missile that was fired into Saudi Arabia in July and called for the United Nations to hold Tehran accountable for violating two U.N. Security Council resolutions.

Saudi Arabia and its allies accuse Iran of supplying missiles and other weapons to the Houthis, saying the arms were not present in Yemen before conflict broke out there in 2015. Iran denies the charges and blames the conflict on Riyadh.

The United States has imposed unilateral sanctions on Iran, saying its missile tests violate a U.N. resolution that calls on Tehran not to undertake activities related to missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons.

Iran says its missile program is defensive and it has no plans to build nuclear-capable missiles.

(Reporting by Dubai newsroom, editing by Larry King)

COMMENTS

More Related News

US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal
US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Trump administration on Monday demanded that Iran make wholesale changes in its military and regional policies or face "the strongest sanctions in history," as it sought to turn up heat on Tehran after President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from a landmark nuclear

Syrian government declares capital fully under its control
Syrian government declares capital fully under its control
  • World
  • 2018-05-21 17:57:15Z

BEIRUT (AP) - Syria's military on Monday captured an enclave in southern Damascus from Islamic State militants following a ruinous monthlong battle, bringing the entire capital and its far-flung suburbs under full government control for the first time since the civil war began in 2011.

Mike Pompeo threatens 'strongest sanctions in history' and vows to 'crush' Iranian proxies
Mike Pompeo threatens 'strongest sanctions in history' and vows to 'crush' Iranian proxies

Mike Pompeo, the US secretary of state, threatened Iran with the "strongest sanctions in history" and vowed to "crush" the regime's proxies around the world. Mr Pompeo also called for a new nuclear treaty with Iran to replace the Obama-era deal that Donald Trump withdrew from earlier this month. But the top US diplomat issued a list of  12 requirements for such a deal, many of which Iran would be unlikely to agree to. He said the US would apply "unprecedented financial pressure" on Iran and send teams of specialists to allies around the world to explain US policy. Mr Pompeo said if Iran makes "major changes" the US was willing to lift all...

US will put
US will put 'unprecedented financial pressure' on Iran: Pompeo

The United States will increase the financial pressure on Iran with the "strongest sanctions in history," after Washington pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal with Tehran, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday. "We will apply unprecedented financial pressure on the Iranian regime. The leaders in Tehran will have no doubt about our seriousness," Pompeo said in his first major foreign policy address since moving to the State Department from the CIA.

Iran
Iran's Zarif says EU efforts to save nuke deal 'not sufficient'

Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Sunday that European efforts to save the nuclear deal after the exit of the United States were not sufficient. "The cascade of decisions by EU companies to end their activities in Iran makes things much more complicated," Zarif told reporters. "With the exit of the United States from the nuclear deal, the expectations of the Iranian public towards the European Union have increased... and the EU's political support for the nuclear agreement is not sufficient," Zarif added in comments carried by state broadcaster IRIB.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: BioTech

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.