Iran denies ties to Houthi drone attack on Saudi oil installations




DUBAI, May 17 (Reuters) - Iran's foreign ministry on Friday rejected accusations by Saudi Arabia that Tehran had ordered an attack on Saudi oil installations claimed by Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi militia.

U.S.-ally Riyadh made the accusation amid growing tension between Iran and its arch-foe the United States, which has built up its military presence in the region alleging threats from Iran to its troops and interests.

The Houthis, which have been battling a Saudi-led military coalition for four years, said they carried out Tuesday's drone strikes against the East-West pipeline, which caused a fire but Riyadh said did not disrupt output or exports.

"You're still deluded after 1,500 days, isn't that enough?," Iran's foreign ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi, said on his Twitter account, referring to the length of the Yemen war.

Mousavi was responding to Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir who tweeted on Thursday: "The Houthis are an indivisible part of #Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps ... and subject to the IRGC's orders. This is confirmed by the #Houthis targeting facilities in the Kingdom."

Mousavi added: "It's time for you to stop your crimes against #Yemeni people. You can't hide your weakness behind such claims."

A military coalition led by neighboring Saudi Arabia, which receives weapons from the West, intervened in Yemen in March 2015 after the Houthis ousted Yemen's internationally recognized government from the capital Sanaa. The conflict is seen as a proxy war between Sunni Saudi Arabia and Shi'ite Iran.

Separately, Mousavi condemned air strikes on Thursday by the Saudi-led coalition on Sanaa and called on international and human rights bodies "to act according to their responsibility to prevent the repetition of these crimes," state news agency IRNA said.

The Houthi group denies being a puppet of Tehran or receiving arms from Iran, and says its revolution is against corruption. Iran denies Saudi accusations that it gives financial and military support to the Houthis and blames the deepening civil war crisis on Riyadh. (Reporting by Dubai newsroom, Editing by William Maclean)

COMMENTS

More Related News

President Trump briefed on missile strike in Saudi Arabia, spokeswoman says
President Trump briefed on missile strike in Saudi Arabia, spokeswoman says

U.S. President Donald Trump has been briefed on the details of a missile strike in Saudi Arabia, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said on Wednesday. "We are closely monitoring the situation and continuing to consult with our partners and allies," Sanders added. Earlier, Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis said they had struck a power station in Al-Shuqaiq city, in the Saudi province of Jizan, with a cruise missile, according to the group's Al Masirah TV.

UN expert urges probe of Saudi prince over Khashoggi killing
UN expert urges probe of Saudi prince over Khashoggi killing
  • World
  • 2019-06-19 14:53:40Z

An independent U.N. report into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi said Wednesday there is "credible evidence" to warrant further investigation into the possible role of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and suggested sanctions on his personal assets. The scathing probe

US releases photos to bolster claim Iran attacked tankers
US releases photos to bolster claim Iran attacked tankers

In an effort to bolster its public case against Iran, the Pentagon on Monday released new photos that officials said show that members of Tehran's Revolutionary Guard were responsible for attacks last week on two oil tankers near the Persian Gulf. The images, many taken from a Navy helicopter, show what the Pentagon said were Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from the side of the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman. The release of the photos came as the U.S. works this week to convince members of Congress and allies that the accusations against Tehran are true.

US releases new photos it says incriminate Iran in tanker attacks
US releases new photos it says incriminate Iran in tanker attacks

The United States military on Monday released new photos it says incriminate Iran in an attack last week on a tanker ship in strategic Gulf waters. The US argument centers on an unexploded limpet mine on the Kokuka Courageous ship it says was removed by Iranians on a patrol boat. "Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine," the Pentagon said in a statement accompanying the imagery.

Exclusive: U.S. preparing to send more troops to Middle East - sources
Exclusive: U.S. preparing to send more troops to Middle East - sources
  • US
  • 2019-06-17 21:53:54Z

The United States is preparing to send additional troops to the Middle East in response to mounting concerns over Iran, which Washington blames for attacks on oil tankers last week, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity. The officials did not say how many troops would be deployed or detail the timing of the deployment, which has not been previously reported. If confirmed, it would be in addition to the 1,500 troop increase announced last month in response to tanker attacks in May that it also blamed on Iran.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Asia

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.