Investors pull almost $140 million from the company planning to merge with Donald Trump's Truth Social




  • In Politics
  • 2022-09-24 12:52:01Z
  • By Business Insider
Donald Trump
Donald Trump  
  • The deadline for Digital World deal to acquire Donald Trump's Truth Social passed on September 20.

  • Investors are walking away from planned commitments of $140 million, SEC filings show. 

  • Reuters reported that Sabby Management investors bowed out, taking away $100 million. 


Investors are walking away from commitments to invest in a company that planned to merge with Donald Trump's Truth Social platform.

"Blank-check" company Digital World Acquisition said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday that some backers were pulling a total of $139 million they had planned to put into the $1 billion acquisition.

The investors who signed up for the deal about a year ago were able to back out if it was not completed by September 20.

The investors who walked away were not disclosed in the filings, but Reuters reported that Sabby Management, which planned to put in $100 million, is one of the investors that bowed out.

Sources told the news agency that more investors may also withdraw their commitment now that the deadline has passed and are awaiting more favorable terms to be put to them by Digital World.

The company has struggled to close the Truth Social merger and previously blamed the SEC for delaying the deal amid criminal and civil investigations.

The SEC started examining the deal in June over the possibility that Trump Media and Digital World had held discussions before the special purpose acquisition company (Spac) went public last year without informing the watchdog.

As a result, the directors of Digital World received subpoenas in June from a grand jury in the Southern District of New York.

Digital World has faced difficulty in getting 65% shareholder approval for the merger and could be forced to liquidate and return investors' cash if the deal is not completed.

Sabby Management and Trump Media and Technology Group did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Elon Musk says Twitter banning Donald Trump was a
Elon Musk says Twitter banning Donald Trump was a 'grave mistake.' The tech billionaire is 'fine' with Trump not tweeting, too.

Musk last week reinstated Donald Trump. The former US president was banned from the platform in 2020 for inciting an attack on the US Capitol.

Musk says he will support DeSantis if Florida governor runs for president
Musk says he will support DeSantis if Florida governor runs for president

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Billionaire Elon Musk said on Friday he would support Ron DeSantis in 2024 if the Florida governor, who recently coasted to a second...

Elon Musk says Twitter
Elon Musk says Twitter's ban on Trump after Capitol attack was 'grave mistake'
  • US
  • 2022-11-26 01:13:27Z

Twitter's ban on then President Donald Trump after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by his supporters was a "grave mistake" that had to be...

Kari Lake files lawsuit in Maricopa County, claims election laws broken
Kari Lake files lawsuit in Maricopa County, claims election laws broken

Lake, a close ally of former President Donald Trump who has refused to acknowledge President Joe Biden won the 2020 election, has not yet conceded the...

Sam Harris Quits Twitter Following Trump Reinstatement
Sam Harris Quits Twitter Following Trump Reinstatement

'Free-speech absolutists' support publishing 'the malicious lies of any maniac, at scale, regardless of the consequences. Good luck with that,' Sam Harris...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Politics