India deploys two ships in Gulf of Oman after tanker attacks




MUMBAI (Reuters) - India's navy has deployed two ships in the Gulf of Oman to ensure safe passage for Indian-flagged vessels, the country's defense ministry said late on Thursday, a week after two oil tankers were attacked in the region.

The United States has blamed Iran for the attacks on a Norwegian-owned and a Japanese-owned tanker, raising concerns about further U.S.-Iranian confrontation. Tehran has denied the allegation.

Indian naval ships named Chennai and Sunayna have been "deployed in the Gulf of Oman and Persian Gulf to undertake maritime security operations," the defense ministry said in a statement, adding that the navy is also conducting aerial surveillance of the area.


(Reporting by Sankalp Phartiyal; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Houthi Attacks: The Greatest Threat To Saudi Oil Production
Houthi Attacks: The Greatest Threat To Saudi Oil Production

The increasing missile, drone, and naval capabilities of the Houthis make the Saudi oil industry vulnerable to attack

Iran alleges foreign government behind
Iran alleges foreign government behind 'treacherous' ship attack

Iran said Monday a foreign government was behind what it alleges was a "treacherous" attack on a tanker off Saudi Arabia last week, as it released pictures of its damaged hull. Tehran says the Iranian-flagged Sabiti oil tanker was hit by two separate explosions off the Red Sea port of Jeddah on Friday. It is the first Iranian ship to have been targeted since a spate of attacks on vessels in the Gulf that Washington blamed on Tehran.

Iran offers warning after mysterious tanker attack
Iran offers warning after mysterious tanker attack
  • World
  • 2019-10-13 15:57:29Z

Iran's president warned Sunday it would be "a big mistake" to think his country won't respond to threats after a mysterious attack on one of its oil tankers. Hassan Rouhani's remarks came as Pakistan's prime minister was visiting Iran in an effort to ease tensions between Tehran and Saudi Arabia. Imran Khan is planning to visit Saudi Arabia later this week.

Iran vows response to attack on tanker off Saudi coast
Iran vows response to attack on tanker off Saudi coast

Iran vowed on Saturday not to let an attack on one of its oil tankers off the coast of Saudi Arabia to go unanswered, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported. Ali Shamkhani, secretary of the Supreme National Security Council, said clues had been uncovered as to who was behind what he called a "missile attack" on the Sabiti tanker. "Maritime piracy and wickedness in international waterways... will not be left unanswered," he said, quoted by ISNA.

Leakage from targeted Iran tanker halted as it heads for Gulf: Iranian media
Leakage from targeted Iran tanker halted as it heads for Gulf: Iranian media

Leakage of cargo from an Iranian-owned oil tanker apparently hit by missiles in Red Sea waters off Saudi Arabia has been stopped as it heads for the Gulf, the semi-official Iranian news agency Mehr reported on Saturday. The tanker Sabiti was targeted on Friday, Iranian media reported earlier, an incident that if confirmed will stoke friction in a region rattled by attacks on tankers and oil installations since May. "The tanker is heading for Persian Gulf waters and we hope it will enter Iranian waters safely," Mehr quoted an unnamed official as saying.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Europe

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.