'Imagine the joy:' Father, four-year-old son reunite in U.S. immigration crisis




  • In US
  • 2018-07-11 01:57:25Z
  • By By Salvador Rodriguez

By Salvador Rodriguez

SAN BENITO, Texas (Reuters) - With tears and smiles, Salvadoran asylum seeker Walter Armando Jimenez Melendez reunited with his 4-year-old son Jeremy on Tuesday after six weeks of anguished separation.

"(I went) without knowing where he was - if he was eating, how they were treating him," said Jimenez, 29, as he shared a meal with his child for the first time since May. "Imagine the joy I felt."

The father said that he and his son were overcome with emotion when they set eyes on each other. The boy cried, he said. Asked if he was happy to see his dad, Jeremy shyly smiled and nodded.

Jimenez, who was held in two different facilities in Texas, said he did not learn he would rejoin Jeremy until four hours before and did not believe it until he saw the boy.

Jeremy was among 63 children under the age of five whom Judge Dana Sabraw in U.S. District Court in San Diego ordered the U.S. government to reunite with their parents by Tuesday. They were separated by immigration officials when they crossed into the United States from Mexico.

On Tuesday, Sabraw told government attorneys he would not extend that deadlines set two weeks ago for the children under five or for 2,000 other children to be reunited by July 26.

The government had asked Sabraw to extend the deadlines because it needed time to test DNA to confirm family relationships, run background checks, find parents who were released from custody and review parental fitness.

"We've saved kids' lives by keeping them from being with some really evil people some of them," Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told CNN, adding that 38 children were to be reunited on Tuesday.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who took his hardline policy on immigration to the White House from the 2016 election campaign, was dismissive of reporters' questions about the missed deadline.

"Tell people not to come to our country illegally," he said. "That's the solution."

Not all of those separated from their children, however, had crossed the border illegally. Some, like Jimenez, walked up to a border crossing point and asked for asylum.

Trump stopped separating families last month following public outrage and court challenges.

More than 2,300 children were separated from their parents after the Trump's administration announced its "zero tolerance" policy in early May. The government is seeking to prosecute all adults who crossed the border illegally. While parents are held in jail to await trial by a judge, children are moved into various centers across the country.

After U.S. immigration officials brought Jimenez and his son together on Tuesday afternoon, the pair went to La Posada Providencia, an emergency shelter for refugees in San Benito, Texas near the Mexican border.

Over a dinner of rice, bread, meat, ice cream and cookies at the shelter, one of the center's nuns said a prayer of thanks for the reunion of the boy and his father. Jeremy, dressed in a denim jacket, smiled broadly at hearing his name mentioned.

The two left San Salvador on May 12 after Jimenez was extorted by a gang member at his home and later accused by police of being a gangster, the father said.

They gave themselves up at the Texas border on May 24 and they remained together for five days, Jimenez said. The two were separated on May 29 when border patrol agents said Jimenez had to attend a court hearing. Jimenez waited for two hours until they told him he would not be reunited with his child.

"They separated us with lies," Jeremy said in Spanish. "More than mad, I was sad because I couldn't say bye. I couldn't give him a few words and tell him that everything would be all right."

The father and son will move on by bus to Rock Hill, South Carolina, on Wednesday morning where they will be reunited with Jimenez's wife and his stepson, the father said.

"Sometimes I try to be strong so as to not show him sadness," said Jimenez, wearing a red polo and sporting short black hair and a light beard.

"I hope that from here on everything is pure joy for him and that he can quickly forget about all of this."

(Reporting by Salvador Rodriguez; Additional reporting by Marty Graham in San Diego; Sofia Menchu in Guatemala City; Tom Hals in Wilmington, Delaware; Kristina Cooke in San Francisco; and Jan Wolfe and Jonathan Allen in New York; Editing by Alistair Bell, Grant McCool and Lisa Shumaker)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds
Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds

The nation's demographic shift has emboldened white supremacists, the Southern Poverty Law Center finds in its annual survey.

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.