Illinois attorney general challenges ex-officer's murder sentence




  • In US
  • 2019-02-11 18:37:11Z
  • By By Suzannah Gonzales
FILE PHOTO: Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke watches the prosecution
FILE PHOTO: Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke watches the prosecution's closing statements during his trial for the shooting death of Laquan McDonald at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago  

By Suzannah Gonzales

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and a prosecutor on Monday challenged the sentence of former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke for the murder of a black teenager, questioning whether the judge who imposed it followed the law.

Van Dyke, 40, who is white, was sentenced last month to nearly seven years in prison for second-degree murder in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald in 2014 in a landmark case that highlighted racial tensions in America's third-largest city.

Activists and prosecutors had wanted a longer sentence. Van Dyke could have received up to 20 years in prison for second-degree murder and up to 30 years for each of 16 counts of aggravated battery - one count for each shot he fired at the 17-year-old McDonald, who was carrying a knife.

Cook County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Gaughan did not sentence Van Dyke for the aggravated battery conviction, explaining that second-degree murder was the more serious crime.

Raoul and Kane County State's Attorney Joseph McMahon, the special prosecutor in the case, told a news conference that they had a filed a petition to the Illinois Supreme Court to review the sentence imposed by Gaughan. Van Dyke could appeal the petition, they said.

"This is a question of the law. And it is in the interest of justice that the law be followed no matter who the defendant and no matter who the victim is in a particular case," Raoul said.

The guilty verdict issued by a jury in October marked the first time an on-duty Chicago police officer was convicted for the killing of a black person.

A spokeswoman for Van Dyke's lawyer said there would be a news conference on Monday afternoon to address the challenge.

At the sentencing hearing, prosecutors argued Van Dyke should be sentenced for the aggravated battery with a firearm convictions, McMahon said in a statement emailed on Monday.

"The ability for the prosecution to challenge a sentence is very narrow, but this might be one of those situations," McMahon said.


(Reporting by Suzannah Gonzales and Karen Pierog in Chicago; Writing by Caroline Stauffer; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Police: Tip that Smollett, 2 brothers together in elevator
Police: Tip that Smollett, 2 brothers together in elevator

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago police are investigating a tip that on the night "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett reported being attacked by two masked men he was in an elevator of his apartment building with two brothers later arrested and released from custody in the probe, a department spokesman told The Associated Press Tuesday.

Jussie Smollett Cut From
Jussie Smollett Cut From 'Empire' Episodes As Attack Probe Continues

As the Chicago police investigation into what really happened to Jussie Smollett in the alleged assault last month intensifies its focus on the Empire actor, the Fox drama is cutting the performer out of the action. Deadline has confirmed with well placed sources that Smollett's scenes in episodes of the Lee Daniels and Danny Strong co-created series are being slashed for production on Empire this week. While the show is back at work today in the Windy City after the long…

What Happened to Jussie Smollett? Here Are All of His Case's Developments
What Happened to Jussie Smollett? Here Are All of His Case's Developments

Police now want to re-interview the 'Empire' actor

Chicago police seek follow-up interview with Jussie Smollett
Chicago police seek follow-up interview with Jussie Smollett

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago police said Sunday they're still seeking a follow-up interview with Jussie Smollett after receiving new information that "shifted" their investigation of a reported attack on the "Empire" actor.

Chicago police seek follow-up interview with
Chicago police seek follow-up interview with 'Empire' actor
  • US
  • 2019-02-17 22:08:46Z

Chicago police have shifted the direction of their investigation into actor Jussie Smollett's report of a hate-crime assault and are seeking to interview him again, after releasing two men detained for questioning in the probe, a police spokesman said on Saturday. According to Smollett's account

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.