House, Senate Lawmakers Reach Tentative Deal to Avert Shutdown




 

(Bloomberg) -- House and Senate negotiators said they have reached an "agreement in principle" on border security funding that would avert a second government shutdown on Friday.

Senator Richard Shelby, an Alabama Republican, and Representative Nita Lowey, a New York Democrat, made the announcement at the Capitol on Monday night.

Leaders of both parties in the House and Senate resolved a last-minute snag on the number of immigration detention beds during a series of meeting Monday afternoon and evening before signing off on the agreement.

QuickTake: Why 'Detention Beds' Are Part of U.S. Shutdown Talks

Yet President Donald Trump remains a wild card. The White House had given signals that he would go along with the lower spending levels. But the president has in the past reversed course without warning, as he did last December in blowing up a previous spending accord and triggering a 35-day shutdown.

Shelby said that he hoped the White House would approve the agreement the House and Senate negotiators had reached.

To contact the reporters on this story: Steven T. Dennis in Washington at sdennis17@bloomberg.net;Anna Edgerton in Washington at aedgerton@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Joe Sobczyk at jsobczyk@bloomberg.net, John Harney

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.