Hong Kong police ban Tiananmen vigil for first time in 30 years




Candlelight vigils in Hong Kong marking the anniversary of the Tiananmen crackdown usually attract hundreds of thousands of people, as this one in Victoria Park did in 2019
Candlelight vigils in Hong Kong marking the anniversary of the Tiananmen crackdown usually attract hundreds of thousands of people, as this one in Victoria Park did in 2019  

Hong Kong police on Monday banned an upcoming vigil marking the Tiananmen crackdown anniversary citing the coronavirus pandemic, the first time the gathering has been halted in three decades.

The candlelight June 4 vigil usually attracts huge crowds and is the only place on Chinese soil where such a major commemoration of the anniversary is still allowed.

Last year's gathering was especially large and came just a week before seven months of pro-democracy protests and clashes exploded onto the city's streets, sparked initially by a plan to allow extraditions to the authoritarian mainland.

But police rejected permission for this year's rally saying it would "constitute a major threat to the life and health of the general public", according to a letter of objection to organisers obtained by AFP.

Hong Kong has managed to keep the virus mostly in check, with just over 1,000 infections and four deaths. Bars, restaurants, gyms and cinemas have largely reopened in recent weeks.

In the last two days five local infections were reported, breaking nearly two weeks of zero tallies.

Organisers accused police of using the virus as an excuse to ban the rally.

"I don't see why the government finds political rallies unacceptable while it gave green lights to resumption of schools and other services ranging from catering, karaoke to swimming pools," said Lee Cheuk-yan, chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance which has organised every vigil since 1990.

The alliance called on residents to instead light a candle at 8pm on Thursday and observe one minute of silence wherever they can.

"If we are not allowed to light a candle at a rally, we will let the candles be lit across the city," Lee said.

Lee also vowed that the alliance would continue to chant the slogan "end one-party rule" during the commemoration despite Beijing's recently announced plans to impose a law criminalising acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and foreign interference.

Beijing says the law -- which will bypass Hong Kong's legislature -- is needed to tackle "terrorism" and "separatism".

Opponents fear it will bring mainland-style political oppression to a business hub supposedly guaranteed freedoms and autonomy for 50 years after its 1997 handover to China by Britain.

The 1989 Tiananmen crackdown occurred when China's leaders sent tanks and troops to quell student protesters calling for democracy and an end to corruption.

Hundreds were killed, with some estimates suggesting that more than 1,000 perished.

Three decades on, it remains one of the most sensitive subjects in mainland China and any mention of it is strictly censored.

But in Hong Kong the memory of what happened is kept alive.

The annual vigils swelled before the 1997 handover to China and have become especially charged in recent years as many Hong Kongers chafe under Beijing's rule.

This year's anniversary is likely to coincide with Hong Kong's pro-government stacked legislature voting for a law banning insults to China's national anthem.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Around 200,000 Hong Kong citizens set to move to UK after citizenship offer, Foreign Office says
Around 200,000 Hong Kong citizens set to move to UK after citizenship offer, Foreign Office says

Roughly 200,000 Hong Kong citizens are set to move to the UK after Boris Johnson offered them a route to citizenship, according to Foreign Office estimates. The Prime Minister unveiled the measures, for which three million residents Hong Kong are eligible, after China brought in a draconian security law in Hong Kong. The law makes it easier to punish protesters and reduces Hong Kong's autonomy. The Foreign Office has a working estimate that 200,000 people in Hong Kong are likely to take up the British Government's offer and move to the UK. One source told the Financial Times that the exact number was in a state of "flux", with an average of 180,000 expected. Another said the...

Nathan Law: Hong Kong pro-democracy activist reveals he
Nathan Law: Hong Kong pro-democracy activist reveals he's in London

Nathan Law, who fled Hong Kong over China's new security law, says he is staying in the UK.

Leading Hong Kong activists charged for Tiananmen vigil gathering
Leading Hong Kong activists charged for Tiananmen vigil gathering

Thirteen prominent Hong Kong democracy activists appeared in court on Monday charged with holding an unauthorised gathering to mark the Tiananmen Square crackdown, the latest in a string of prosecutions against protest leaders in the restless financial hub. Last month tens of thousands of Hong Kongers defied a ban on rallies to mark the June 4 anniversary of Beijing's deadly 1989 crackdown against students pushing for democracy. The annual vigil has been held in Hong Kong for the last three decades and usually attracts huge crowds.

Majority of U.S. firms in Hong Kong concerned about security law - Amcham
Majority of U.S. firms in Hong Kong concerned about security law - Amcham

A majority of U.S. companies in Hong Kong surveyed by the American Chamber of Commerce (Amcham) are concerned about the sweeping new national security law in the global financial hub, with a third looking to move assets or business longer-term. The Amcham survey, published on Monday and to which 183 or 15% of its members responded on July 6-9, showed 36.6% of respondents were "somewhat" concerned and 51% were "extremely concerned" about the legislation. More than two-thirds of the respondents were more concerned than a month ago, when the full details of the law, which came into force just before the anniversary of the former British colony's return to Chinese rule on July 1, 1997, were...

China reports eight new mainland coronavirus cases as of July 12
China reports eight new mainland coronavirus cases as of July 12
  • US
  • 2020-07-13 01:00:06Z

Mainland China reported eight new COVID-19 cases as of the end of July 12, up from seven reported a day earlier, the Chinese national health authority said on Monday. The National Health Commission said in a statement that all of the new cases were imported infection involving travellers from overseas, the same as the seven cases a day earlier. The capital city of Beijing reported no new confirmed cases for the seventh consecutive day.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America