Hong Kong democracy activists get bail, protest march banned





HONG KONG (AP) - Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong and another core member of a pro-democracy group were granted bail Friday after being charged with inciting people to join a protest in June, while authorities denied permission for a major march as they took what appears to be a harder line on this summer's protests.

The organizers of Saturday's march, the fifth anniversary of a decision by China against allowing fully democratic elections for the leader of Hong Kong, said they were calling it off after an appeals board denied permission. It was unclear whether some protesters would still demonstrate on their own.

The police commander of Hong Kong island, Kwok Pak Chung, appealed to people to stay away from any non-authorized rallies, warning that those caught could face a five-year jail term.

He told a daily news conference that he was aware of social media messages urging people to take strolls or hold rallies in the name of religion. Kwok urged the public to "make a clear break with all acts of violence and stay away from locations where violent clashes may take place."

Police have been rejecting more applications for rallies and marches, citing violence at or after earlier ones. They also are arresting people for protests earlier this summer, a step they said was a natural development as investigations were completed.

Andy Chan, the leader of a pro-independence movement, was arrested at the airport Thursday night under suspicion of rioting and attacking police. Three other protesters were taken in earlier this week for alleged involvement in the storming of the legislative building on July 1, when protesters broke in and vandalized the main chamber.

A leader of the Civil Human Rights Front, which had called Saturday's march, said that Hong Kong residents would have to think about other ways to voice their anger if the police keep banning protests.

"The first priority of the Civil Human Rights Front is to make sure that all of the participants who participate in our marches will be physically and legally safe. That's our first priority," said Bonnie Leung. "And because of the decision made by the appeal board, we feel very sorry but we have no choice but to cancel the march."

Police arrested Wong and Agnes Chow on Friday morning. They were charged with participating in and inciting others to join an unauthorized protest outside a police station on June 21. Wong was also charged with organizing it.

"We will continue our fight no matter how they arrest and prosecute us," Wong told reporters outside a courthouse after they were released on bail.

Wong, one of the student leaders of the Umbrella Movement in 2014, was released from prison in June after serving a two-month sentence related to that major pro-democracy protest.

Wong and Chow, both 22, are members of Demosisto, a group formed by Wong and others in 2016 to advocate self-determination for Hong Kong. Chow tried to run for office last year, but was disqualified because of the group's stance on self-determination. China does not consider independence an option for the semi-autonomous territory.

Demosisto is not a leader of this year's movement, which describes itself as "leaderless," though Wong has spoken out regularly in support of the demonstrations.

The protests were set off by extradition legislation that would have allowed suspects to be sent to mainland China to face trial and expanded to general concerns that China is chipping away at the rights of Hong Kong residents.

The extradition bill was suspended but the protesters want it withdrawn and are also demanding democracy and an independent inquiry into police actions against protesters.

Demosisto first reported the arrests of Wong and Chow on its social media accounts, saying Wong was pushed into a private car as he was heading to a subway station around 7:30 a.m. and was taken to police headquarters. It later said Chow had also been arrested, at her home.

Chow echoed Wong's comments, saying "we Hong Kong people won't give up and won't be scared ... we will keep fighting for democracy."

___

Associated Press writers Yanan Wang in Beijing and Eileen Ng in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and videojournalist Johnson Lai in Hong Kong contributed to this story.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Hong Kong slashes border crossings with China over virus
Hong Kong slashes border crossings with China over virus

Hong Kong on Tuesday announced drastic measures to cut the number of people crossing into the city from mainland China in a bid to curb the spread of a SARS-like virus that has already killed more than 100 people. With tour groups from the mainland suspended earlier, the new measures blocking individual travellers will dramatically reduce the number of Chinese able to visit the semi-autonomous city. The number of flights from the mainland to Hong Kong will be halved and all ferry services suspended to "reduce the mobility of people from both sides", city leader Carrie Lam said, adding six of 14 border checkpoints will close from January 30 "until further notice".

What you need to know about the Wuhan coronavirus
What you need to know about the Wuhan coronavirus

An outbreak of a new strain of the coronavirus has sparked worries of a global epidemic around what health officials have dubbed the novel coronavirus, also referred to as the Wuhan or new coronavirus.Coronavirus is a broad family of viruses, ranging from strains that can be treated like the common cold

Hong Kong protesters set planned quarantine building on fire amid coronavirus concerns
Hong Kong protesters set planned quarantine building on fire amid coronavirus concerns

Protesters were pushing back on the government's response to the alarming virus outbreak, which some argued could endanger more people.

China extends Lunar New Year holiday as new virus toll rises
China extends Lunar New Year holiday as new virus toll rises
  • World
  • 2020-01-27 01:04:26Z

China on Monday expanded sweeping efforts to contain a viral disease by postponing the end of this week's Lunar New Year holiday to keep the public at home and avoid spreading infection as the death toll rose to 80. Hong Kong announced it would bar entry to visitors from the mainland province at the center of the outbreak. Increasingly drastic anti-disease efforts began with the Jan. 22 suspension of plane, train and bus links to Wuhan, a city of 11 million people in central China where the virus was first detected last month.

Hong Kong bars Hubei residents from entering city as coronavirus fears intensify
Hong Kong bars Hubei residents from entering city as coronavirus fears intensify

Hong Kong authorities on Sunday barred residents of China's Hubei province, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, from entering the city, in response to mounting pressure to enact preventative measures to contain the spreading epidemic. The ban includes those who have been in the province in the past 14 days but excludes Hong Kong citizens. Earlier a group of protesters set alight the lobby of a newly built residential building in Hong Kong that authorities planned to use as a quarantine facility for the coronavirus outbreak.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America