Hong Kong cabinet member floats internet curbs to contain unrest




  • In World/Asia
  • 2019-10-07 19:59:08Z
  • By Jasmine LEUNG, Jerome TAYLOR

Hong Kong's government may curb access to the internet in a bid to contain months of increasingly violent pro-democracy protests, a cabinet member told AFP on Monday, after an emergency-law ban on demonstrators wearing face masks failed to quell the unrest.

The warning came as the international financial hub remained partly paralysed from three days of protests in which the city's rail network and business outlets -- seen as pro-China -- were badly vandalised.

The surge in protests was in response to the Hong Kong government's announcement on Friday it would invoke colonial-era emergency laws not used for more than 50 years to ban demonstrators from wearing face masks.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the ban was needed to contain the unrest, which began nearly four months ago and has seen millions of people take to the streets demanding China stop strangling their freedoms.

Ip Kwok-him, a veteran pro-Beijing politician and member of Hong Kong's executive council, fuelled those concerns when he said controls on the internet could be introduced.

"The government will not rule out the possibility of placing a ban on the internet," he told AFP.

Ip said the internet has been crucial to protesters, who have no public leaders and use online forums and encrypted messaging apps to mobilise.

But he said the government recognised any online shutdown could have a knock-on effect.

"I think a condition for implementing the internet ban would be not to affect any businesses in Hong Kong," he said.

The executive council is Hong Kong's cabinet, an advisory body to Lam.

She announced the ban on face masks immediately after meeting with the council on Friday.

- More clashes, mask arrests in court -

On Monday night, hardcore protesters returned to the streets, vandalising store fronts, blocking roads in multiple areas and trashing two subway stations.

Police fired tear gas in at least three locations, although the clashes were less sustained and widespread than in recent nights.

A group of protesters however managed to vandalize a Bank of China branch in the Tseung Kwan O neighbourhood of Kowloon, destroying property and spray-painting slogans on the walls.

Earlier in the day, a male university student and a 38-year-old woman were the first people to be charged with illegally wearing masks as supporters packed the courtroom -- many wearing face coverings.

They were charged with unlawful assembly, which carries up to three years jail time, and with defying the mask ban, which has a maximum one-year sentence. Both were released on bail.

Outside the court, demonstrators queued to get in, some chanting slogans such as "Wearing a face mask isn't a crime" and "The law is unjust".

Many said they feared the mask ban was just the first of more emergency orders to come.

"It's an excuse to just introduce other totalitarian laws, next is martial law," one protester outside the court, who gave his surname Lo, told AFP.

- Few concessions -

The protests were ignited by a now-scrapped plan to allow extraditions of criminal suspects to the mainland.

This fuelled fears of an erosion of liberties promised under the 50-year "one country, two systems" model China agreed to ahead of the 1997 handover by Britain.

After Beijing and local leaders took a hard stance against the initial protests, they snowballed into a wider movement calling for more democratic freedoms and police accountability.

Lam has refused major concessions, but struggled to come up with any political solution.

The past week has seen a particularly intense stretch of protests.

The worst clashes to date erupted on Tuesday as China celebrated 70 years of Communist Party rule, with a teenager shot and wounded by police as he attacked an officer.

Over the weekend, largely peaceful flash mob rallies and marches featured people wearing masks.

But more hardcore protesters also went on the rampage, trashing subway stations, ransacking government offices and vandalising businesses with mainland ties.

Large parts of the railway network -- which carries millions of passengers daily -- closed over the weekend because of the vandalism, while many shops and malls were shuttered. Some subways stations and shops remained closed on Monday, a public holiday in Hong Kong.

On the mainland, Beijing flexed its muscles by pulling a top US basketball team's games from state broadcaster CCTV after its manager posted a tweet featuring the message "Fight for Freedom. Stand with Hong Kong".

The Houston Rockets tried to calm the waters, later issuing apologies from players and the manager.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Chaos in Hong Kong as pro-democracy protests
Chaos in Hong Kong as pro-democracy protests 'blossom everywhere'

Pro-democracy protesters Wednesday stepped up a "blossom everywhere" campaign of road blocks and vandalism across Hong Kong that has crippled the international financial hub this week and ignited some of the worst violence in five months of unrest. China, facing the biggest challenge to its rule of the territory since it was handed back by the British in 1997, has insisted it will not buckle to the pressure and warned of even tougher security measures.

My Chinese students don
My Chinese students don't want you to talk about Hong Kong. Clearly, we're failing them.

Chinese international students are studying for years in the United States without adopting democratic values. That's our failure, not theirs.

Crowd gathers in central Hong Kong, university campus tense
Crowd gathers in central Hong Kong, university campus tense

Police increased security around Hong Kong and its university campuses Wednesday as they braced for more violence after sharp clashes overnight with anti-government protesters. Many subway and rail stations were closed for the morning commute as protesters blocked train doors from closing and vandalized train cars. Police subdued a few protesters as a crowd gathered for a third straight day in a central business and high-end retail district, public broadcaster RTHK reported.

Third Day of Travel Chaos After Night Battles: Hong Kong Update
Third Day of Travel Chaos After Night Battles: Hong Kong Update

(Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong faced a third-straight day of transit disruptions, after a night of pitched battles across the city between protesters and police.Commuters packed onto the first trains Wednesday morning amid calls by activists to impede rush-hour traffic in a show of anger over the government's response and police tactics. Several MTR Corp. services including the Mong Kok and Tuen Mun stations and the entire East Rail Line were already shut due to vandalism. Numerous bus lines were halted and several schools had suspended classes.The protests which have been raging for five months in pursuit of greater democracy in the former British colony intensified Friday after a student died...

With Rising Violence, China Pushes Hong Kong Toward Civil War
With Rising Violence, China Pushes Hong Kong Toward Civil War
  • World
  • 2019-11-12 10:21:30Z

A traffic police officer in Hong Kong shot an unarmed 21-year-old pro-democracy protester at point-blank range on Monday. on Monday. Hours later, a man was set on fire after defending Beijing in an argument. Both individuals were listed in critical condition.Over the weekend, wide-scale disturbances scarred the territory, a semi-autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. There is essentially a rebellion in Hong Kong. Riot police in green uniforms are doing battle with youthful demonstrators dressed in black. How Hong Kong Protesters Show Which Businesses Are Friend or FoeProtests began in April after Chief Executive Carrie Lam, Hong Kong's top official, proposed legislation...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Asia