Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty To New Indictment; Trial Pushed To January - Update




 
Click here to read the full article.

The criminal trial of Harvey Weinstein has been pushed from a September start to January 6.

Weinstein entered a not guilty plea Monday morning to a new indictment containing charges of sexual assault from 2006 and 2013. Weinstein had already been facing five sexual assault charges from multiple women, and had pleaded not guilty to all charges, maintaining that all sexual acts were consensual.

Prosecutors had argued the additional indictment was necessary in order to allow actress Annabella Sciorra to testify in the trial.

Sciorra, who has starred in The Sopranos and films like Jungle Fever, provided an account of the alleged assault to Ronan Farrow of The New Yorker in 2017 that proved to be one of the most wrenching of the #MeToo movement. She claims Weinstein assaulted her in 1993. While the statute of limitations has lapsed in the state of New York, her testimony may still be allowed, the D.A. contended. The legal premise for allowing it is to establish "prior bad acts," a tactic employed by prosecutors in the Bill Cosby case.

Sciorra did not testify during the grand jury proceedings earlier this year. Her account of the 1993 assault had been barred by New York Supreme Court Judge James Burke from being introduced during the trial.

Gloria Allred, an attorney for Sciorra, delivered a statement outside the courtroom. "I commend Annabella for her willingness to take the stand and answer questions under oath," she said. "She has been willing to do that and share her truth even though she could anticipate a vigorous cross-examination by the defense."

Echoing the defense argument in an earlier brief that the additional indictment was an "11th-hour" maneuver, Weinstein attorney derided it Monday as "desperate." But lead prosecutor Joan Illuzzi-Orbon said there were "absolutely no surprises" in the charges.

Burke presided over Monday's 10-minute hearing, most of which was dedicated to setting a new trial date. Originally set to kick off September 9, the trial will now get started January 6. Burke told the defense team - whose members have changed multiple times during the pre-trial phase - that several planned trial dates have been already been set and then delayed.

The judge then addressed the defendant directly, asking him almost casually, "Mr. Weinstein, do you want to go to trial?" Weinstein replied, "Not really. Not with this weak case." The response, perhaps the most pointed comments in open court by the accused, offered a muted flash of his thundering show business style and drew some murmurs in the courtroom.

Several other key procedural dates were agreed to Monday. The defense team will have until September 6 to respond to prosecutors' motion to consolidate two of the charges against Weinstein, and until October 10 to weigh in on the new indictment. Prosecutors will get two more weeks to respond to the defense before Burke renders his decision on motions on November 7.

The outcome of all of the paper-shuffling will determine the final charges Weinstein will face at trial. Meanwhile, his defense team has been pushing for the trial to be held outside of the "circus-like" atmosphere of New York City. They argue the venue would make a fair trial impossible.

After Burke left the bench and the legal teams began to disperse, Burke then re-took the bench to formally admonish Weinstein for using a cell phone in the courtroom. When he started to explain himself, the judge cut him off. "Please refrain from doing that," he said. "It's a court order."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Judge dismisses Trump lawsuit against NY officials, House committee over taxes
Judge dismisses Trump lawsuit against NY officials, House committee over taxes

A federal judge on Monday issued another blow to President Donald Trump and his ongoing effort to avoid having his tax records turned over to Congress. U.S. Judge Carl Nichols granted a motion to dismiss a lawsuit that Trump filed in July over the TRUST Act in New York, which gave Congress the authority to retrieve tax information from New York residents.

Judge dismisses Trump lawsuit against NY over tax returns
Judge dismisses Trump lawsuit against NY over tax returns

A federal judge on Monday dismissed President Donald Trump's lawsuit against New York officials that was aimed at preventing the release of his tax returns. Judge Carl Nichols handed down a 19-page ruling, finding the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., does not have jurisdiction to hear the case. Trump sued New York's attorney general, tax commissioner and the House and Ways Means Committee in July, seeking an injunction to block the application of a New York state law known as the TRUST Act that could allow the Democratic-controlled House to obtain the tax returns.

2 Die in Jealous Rampage; City
2 Die in Jealous Rampage; City's Third Murder-Suicide in Days
  • US
  • 2019-11-11 19:56:30Z

NEW YORK -- Officers summoned to a Brooklyn apartment discovered the grisly remains of what was once a romance: A 30-year-old man in a jealous rage had shot his former girlfriend in the head, then shot her new boyfriend in the chest before killing himself Sunday, police said.The ex-boyfriend, Darnell Solomon, and his former girlfriend, Janed Duncan, 24, died at a hospital while the victim's boyfriend, Miguel McLawrence, 33, was expected to survive, the police said.It was the third murder-suicide in a week in New York City involving domestic violence. Two other women were stabbed to death by their abusive husbands, who then killed themselves, the police said. One of the men also killed his...

New York City wrestles with surge of violent police clashes
New York City wrestles with surge of violent police clashes

A surge in violent police clashes has left a trail of bodies across New York City, stoking tensions between officers and critics who say they have been too quick to use deadly force. Since mid-October, New York Police Department officers have shot five people, killing four of them - a torrent that left department veterans struggling to recall another time there were so many on-duty shootings in the city in such a short span. Two days later, police killed a man in Brooklyn after they say he slammed an officer's head with a chair.

Heirs of holocaust survivors compete to sue Lehman Foundation over $7 million watercolour
Heirs of holocaust survivors compete to sue Lehman Foundation over $7 million watercolour

The heirs of two Holocaust victims have sued the Lehman Foundation in New York over a multi-million dollar painting, both claiming their families owned the painting before the Nazi era.  The 1917 painting by Egon Schiele, Portrait of the Artist's Wife, was purchased by Robin Owen Lehman - the son of late the banker Robert Lehman - from the Marlborough Gallery in London in 1964. It is now estimated to be worth between $5 and $7 million.  In 2016, Mr Lehman tried to sell the painting through Christie's auction house to raise money for his charity foundation. However, the move notified the two rival claimants to the painting's whereabouts and all three parties have been stuck in a legal...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Entertainment