Group seeks $100M for woman killed by US border agent




 

HOUSTON (AP) - Advocates demanded $100 million in damages Thursday on behalf of the family of a 20-year-old Guatemalan woman who was shot and killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent last year.

The legal claim on behalf of Claudia Patricia Gómez González was filed one year after she died. It comes as the U.S. government grapples with surging numbers of Central Americans crossing its southern border and the deaths of six children in the last year after being apprehended by border agents.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas filed the claim under the Federal Tort Claims Act as a precursor to filing a lawsuit.

Gómez González crossed the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas along with several migrants who were confronted by a Border Patrol agent, who opened fire and killed her.

The claim says Gómez González "posed no threat to anyone, as would have been obvious from the slightest glance." The claim says she was unarmed and not fleeing as others in the group of migrants were.

It demands $50 million each for personal injury and what it says was Gómez González's wrongful death.

"Her life was as valuable as anyone else's, and her family deserves justice for their loss," said Andre Segura, the group's legal director. "Our government has a responsibility to treat everyone lawfully, humanely, and with respect regardless of how they came into this country."

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Border Patrol's parent agency, declined to comment Thursday. CBP's initial statement on May 23, 2018, about Gómez González's death said that the agent used his gun after being attacked by "multiple subjects using blunt objects." The agency called Gómez González an assailant.

The agency revised its statement a day later to say Gómez González was "one member of the group" that rushed the agent and ignored orders to get on the ground. The statement said the agent fired one round.

The agent, who was not identified, was placed on administrative leave at the time. CBP declined on Wednesday to comment on the agent's status or the claim being filed. George Altgelt, a lawyer for the agent, did not return a phone message.

Gómez González was from San Juan Ostuncalco, outside the western highland city of Quetzaltenango. Family members have said she studied forensic accounting and sought admission to a state university but failed to pass three admission exams. Living in poverty and unable to find work, she left for the United States.

More than 160,000 people from Guatemala were apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border between October and April. At Gómez González's wake, a woman said that many villagers had left for the United States looking for work.

"We are poor, there are no jobs. That is why people leave," said the woman, Guadalupe Carreto.

COMMENTS

More Related News

British family says detained in US for making wrong turn
British family says detained in US for making wrong turn

US authorities are disputing the account of two British couples who claim they were held in dire conditions with their three young children for two weeks after mistakenly straying into the US from Canada. US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) arrested the seven family members on October 2 for entering the country illegally from British Columbia where they were vacationing. The two couples said they ended up in the United States after swerving down a road along the US-Canadian border to avoid hitting an animal.

US rejects detained British couple
US rejects detained British couple's claim they accidentally entered US from Canada

U.S. rejects British family's claim of accidentally crossing into the U.S. from Canada and being detained in dreadful conditions for two weeks.

US border patrol says they tried to send UK family back after illegal crossing but Canada wouldn
US border patrol says they tried to send UK family back after illegal crossing but Canada wouldn't take them

As of Tuesday, seven members of the Connors family detained on October 2 are in detention at a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) centre.

School suspends girls, says rape-awareness note was bullying
School suspends girls, says rape-awareness note was bullying

A 15-year-old girl was suspended for bullying after trying to draw attention to what she believed was an unaddressed problem of sexual assaults involving students at her high school. Aela Mansmann, a 15-year-old sophomore at Cape Elizabeth High School outside Portland, has been at odds with Cape Elizabeth Schools for a month after posting a note in a bathroom that said: "There's a rapist in our school and you know who it is." She and two other students who left similar notes were ordered suspended. The American Civil Liberties Union of Maine is taking on Mansmann's case and calling on federal court to stop her suspension.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.