Golfer Olesen's ban lifted after sex assault trial delayed




Thorbjorn Olesen arrives at Isleworth crown court in September 2019 to face charges of sexual assault
Thorbjorn Olesen arrives at Isleworth crown court in September 2019 to face charges of sexual assault  

London (AFP) - Ryder Cup winner Thorbjorn Olesen was cleared Thursday to return to playing on the European Tour after his trial on charges including sexual assault was delayed until the end of next year.

Olesen, a member of the victorious 2018 European Ryder Cup team, was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport last July upon his return from the World Golf Championships-FedEx St Jude Invitational in Memphis.

He was suspended by the tour in August after being charged with sexual assault, being drunk on an aircraft and common assault.

The 30-year-old pleaded not guilty to all three charges in December and was due to return to court for his trial starting May 11.

The Dane had agreed with tour officials it would be inappropriate from him to continue playing in events until the end of his trial, but delays in legal proceedings due to the coronavirus pandemic resulted in the lifting of his suspension.

"While my team and I initially agreed that I would not participate in Tour events while the legal proceedings were outstanding, I am naturally grateful to the European Tour for allowing me to continue my career following the lengthy adjournment of my trial," said Olesen.

"Obviously, the case itself is still ongoing so I will continue to make no comment about it."

The health crisis and subsequent backlog in the legal process have delayed Olesen's trial until December 6, 2021 at the earliest -- 854 days from when his suspension began on August 6 last year.

"Due to this significant and unparalleled delay in the legal process, the European Tour has agreed that his suspension be lifted with immediate effect, allowing him to compete while he continues to contest the case," the European Tour said in a statement.

"This will be reviewed following the conclusion of the legal process, but as this is an on-going legal matter the European Tour will be making no further comment at this time."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Fury and grief after second woman featured in Netflix rape documentary commits suicide
Fury and grief after second woman featured in Netflix rape documentary commits suicide
  • US
  • 2020-08-07 22:06:35Z

Sexual assault survivors and activists have reacted with fury and grief after a second American woman featured in a Netflix rape documentary took her own life. Daisy Coleman, 23, was the subject of the 2016 Netflix documentary "Audrie & Daisy" which examined the bullying and social media harassment that teenage assault victims often face. The award-winning film documented how Coleman, who alleged she was raped aged 14 while another boy filmed the assault, was forced out of her hometown of Maryville, Missouri, after suffering harassment and threats in school. Coleman's case became a rallying cry for victims' advocates across the US after the sexual assault charge against her...

'We let her down': Army secretary vows changes after Vanessa Guillén killing
  • US
  • 2020-08-07 21:15:00Z

Ryan McCarthy said that Fort Hood has some of the the highest rates of murder, sexual harassment and assault of any Army installation in the country.

SecArmy Pledges
SecArmy Pledges 'Every Resource' to Root Out Causes of Vanessa Guillen's Death
  • US
  • 2020-08-06 20:59:10Z

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told an audience at Fort Hood that he is determined to change the culture of sexual harassment.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Golf