Gladys Knight defends decision to sing U.S. anthem at Super Bowl




  • In US
  • 2019-01-18 20:54:41Z
  • By Reuters
FILE PHOTO: 2018 American Music Awards - Show - Los Angeles, California, U.
FILE PHOTO: 2018 American Music Awards - Show - Los Angeles, California, U.  

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Singer Gladys Knight has defended her decision to perform the U.S. national anthem after receiving criticism from supporters of former quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who used the pre-game tradition to protest racial injustice.

Knight, a 74-year-old native of Atlanta, where the game will be played, agreed to sing "the Star Spangled Banner." Her decision was blasted on social media by supporters of the "take a knee" stance championed by NFL players who kneel during the anthem to protest racial injustice. U.S. President Donald Trump and other conservatives have called the players unpatriotic.

Knight, known as "the empress of soul" for a career that stretches back five decades, said she wanted to "give the anthem back its voice" to include Americans struggling for racial justice. She said she did not need to prove her commitment to civil rights.

"I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good," the "Midnight Train to Georgia" singer said in a statement.

"I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country's anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl," Knight added.

Kaepernick started the "take a knee" movement in 2016 to protest police shootings of unarmed black men. His decision to kneel during the anthem sparked a heated national debate, and he has not found an NFL team to play for in recent years.

Many entertainers who back Kaepernick have been reluctant to perform at the Feb. 3 Super Bowl, the biggest sporting and television event in the United States.

Knight said it was "unfortunate that the national anthem had been dragged into this debate."

Rihanna and Pink are among musicians who are reported to have declined to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show in support of Kaepernick, who has sued the NFL, accusing owners of colluding to blackball him.

Pop band Maroon 5 and rappers Travis Scott and Big Boi were confirmed last week as the halftime entertainment at the Feb. 3 game.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by David Gregorio)

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency
White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency

A top adviser to President Donald Trump indicated Sunday that Trump is prepared to issue the first veto of his term if Congress votes to disapprove of his declaration of a national emergency along the U.S.-Mexico border. The West Wing is digging in for fights on multiple fronts as the president'

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.