Giants president says lefty Holland's injury wasn't 'fake'




  • In Sports/Baseball
  • 2019-05-12 21:10:07Z
  • By GIDEON RUBIN (Associated Press)
Giants president says lefty Holland
Giants president says lefty Holland's injury wasn't 'fake'  

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- San Francisco Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said the injury that sent left-hander Derek Holland to the injured list last month was legitimate and praised the veteran's competitive spirit, a day after Holland said he was sidelined with a ''fake injury.''

Zaidi said Sunday that medical records back up the legitimacy of Holland's injury, described by the team as a bone bruise on his left index finger.

He said there are often differences of opinion between players and management about the severity of injuries.

''The guy gets hit by a truck, he can't walk out on the field. That's I guess an unequivocal injury, but there's a lot of gray area beyond that,'' Zaidi said.

Holland blasted the Giants' front office Saturday night after he learned from manager Bruce Bochy that he was being moved to the bullpen.

''To be honest I have no idea what they're doing,'' Holland said. ''I don't mean that by Bochy and them, it's more the front office. They keep changing a lot of things. I did a fake injury. I'm not happy about that. But at the end of the day I'm going to do whatever they ask me to do.''

The 32-year-old was placed on the IL April 29, retroactive to the previous day. In his first outing after being activated, Holland gave up seven runs in 2 2/3 innings Thursday at Colorado amid heavy snowfall.

''I feel equally bad that when he did get back out there, it was in a blizzard,'' Zaidi said. ''I don't know how much of kind of the cold and weather, interacting with whatever lack of feel he has in the finger, contributed to what happened in Colorado.''

Zaidi said Holland didn't want to go on the IL last month and was told he would only miss one start.

''Guys want to play,'' Zaidi said. ''I love the fact that Derek wants to be out there. That's one of the reasons we brought him back.''

Holland signed a one-year, $7 million contract in January to return to San Francisco for a second year. He is 1-4 with a 6.75 ERA.

Zaidi stood by comments he made to the San Francisco Chronicle Saturday night about Holland's injury. He told the newspaper that Holland had an MRI and the decision to put him on the IL was ''collaboratively made.''

''His use of the word 'fake' probably comes from him feeling he could continue to pitch with it,'' Zaidi told the Chronicle.

On Sunday, Zaidi said Holland's anger was understandable given the team's struggles. The Giants are last in the NL West.

''There's a lot of frustration right now. We're not playing as well as we'd like,'' Zaid said. ''I think fans are frustrated, as a front office we're frustrated. I understand players being frustrated, but we're going to do everything we can every day to get better.''

---

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

COMMENTS

More Related News

Dodgers rout Giants 9-2 for 50th win; Rich Hill headed to IL
Dodgers rout Giants 9-2 for 50th win; Rich Hill headed to IL

Cody Bellinger keeps getting on base, and if he's at home chances are it's via a home run. Bellinger slugged his 24th homer - 16th at Dodger Stadium - and Los Angeles kept it together after losing starter Rich Hill to injury in a 9-2 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday night,

Google puts up $1B to ease housing headaches it helped cause
Google puts up $1B to ease housing headaches it helped cause

Google is pouring $1 billion into easing the high-priced housing headaches that it and its Silicon Valley peers helped give the San Francisco Bay Area. The pledge announced Tuesday by Google CEO Sundar Pichai consists of a $250 million investment fund and $750 million of company-owned land. Google's commitment eclipsed a recent $500 million pledge made by Microsoft to combat housing shortages in the Seattle area and a $500 million housing fund created by a consortium including Facebook.

San Francisco May Ban All E-Cigarette Sales
San Francisco May Ban All E-Cigarette Sales

San Francisco May Ban All E-Cigarette Sales

The Latest: San Francisco closer to ban on e-cigarette sales
The Latest: San Francisco closer to ban on e-cigarette sales

San Francisco supervisors have voted unanimously to move the city toward becoming the first in the United States to ban all sales of electronic cigarettes. Supervisors on Tuesday approved a measure to stop the sale and distribution of e-cigarettes until the Food and Drug Administration completes a review of the effects of e-cigarettes on public health.

San Francisco weighs 1st US city ban on e-cigarette sales
San Francisco weighs 1st US city ban on e-cigarette sales

San Francisco supervisors are considering whether to move the city toward becoming the first in the United States to ban all sales of electronic cigarettes to crack down on youth vaping. Supervisors on Tuesday were set to weigh a ban on the sale and distribution of e-cigarettes in San Francisco until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration completes a review of the effects of e-cigarettes on public health, as well as ban manufacturing e-cigarettes on city property. E-cigarettes since 2014 have been the most commonly used tobacco product among young people in the country.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Baseball

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.