Gaza teen dies of wounds from Israel border clash: ministry




A Palestinian relative mourns 17-year-old Bilal Khafaja, killed the day before by Israeli forces, during his funeral in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on September 8, 2018
A Palestinian relative mourns 17-year-old Bilal Khafaja, killed the day before by Israeli forces, during his funeral in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on September 8, 2018  

Gaza City (Palestinian Territories) (AFP) - A Palestinian teen died of his wounds Saturday a day after he was shot by Israeli troops during a protest on the Gaza border, the enclave's health ministry said.

Ahmad Abu Tayoor, 17, was shot late Friday on the border close to the southern city of Rafah, the ministry said.

The Israeli army shot dead another 17-year-old Palestinian, Bilal Khafaja, on Friday and wounded at least 45 others as thousands of demonstrators approached Gaza's border with Israel in multiple locations.

The military said in a statement on Saturday that it was opening an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths of the two young protesters.

The army also said that it had arrested four Palestinians on Saturday.

They were "armed with a knife and an axe (and) attempted to break through the security fence from Gaza into Israel", it said on Twitter.

On Friday, Palestinians had set tyres ablaze and thrown Molotov cocktails and grenades towards nearby Israeli soldiers, the army said.

There have been regular protests along the border since March 30 as Palestinians demand the right to return to homes their families fled or were expelled from during the war surrounding the creation of Israel in 1948.

At least 175 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza since then.

Over the same period, one Israeli soldier was shot dead by a Palestinian sniper.

Israel accuses Gaza's Islamist rulers Hamas of manipulating the protests and of seeking to use them as cover to carry out attacks.

This week, it closed its only people crossing with Gaza after violent protests damaged the infrastructure.

Israel said it would reopen the passage next Thursday providing the situation is calm.

Gaza has been under an Israeli blockade for more than a decade, and its Hamas rulers have fought three wars with Israel since 2008.

Some 80 percent of the enclave's two million residents rely on aid, according to the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA).

COMMENTS

More Related News

President Trump says U.S. should recognize Israel's sovereignty over disputed Golan Heights
President Trump says U.S. should recognize Israel's sovereignty over disputed Golan Heights

Trump's controversial move is sure to inflame tension in the Middle East. He said in a Tweet that the territory is critical to Israel's security.

Netanyahu hails Trump
Netanyahu hails Trump 'historic' pledge on Israel sovereignty of Golan

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday welcomed US President Donald Trump's "historic" pledge to recognise Israel's disputed annexation of the Golan, which it seized from Syria in 1967. "At a time when Iran seeks to use Syria as a platform to destroy Israel, President Trump boldly recognises Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights," he wrote on his personal Twitter account. Trump's statement of intent on the strategic plateau Israel seized in the 1967 Six-Day War came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Jerusalem and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Netanyahu at the Western Wall in the city's Israeli-annexed eastern sector.

The Latest: Israel PM hails Trump
The Latest: Israel PM hails Trump's Golan 'miracle'

JERUSALEM (AP) - The Latest on the United States and Israel (all times local):

Pompeo lauds US-Israel ties, giving boost to Netanyahu
Pompeo lauds US-Israel ties, giving boost to Netanyahu

JERUSALEM (AP) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday lauded the White House's warm ties with Israel during a visit to the country and promised to step up pressure on Iran, giving a public boost to Israel's prime minister at the height of a tight re-election campaign.

Two Palestinians killed by Israeli army in West Bank clashes: health ministry
Two Palestinians killed by Israeli army in West Bank clashes: health ministry

Two Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in clashes near a flashpoint religious site in the occupied West Bank overnight Wednesday, the Palestinian health ministry said. The health ministry said Raid Hamdan, 21, and Zaid Nouri, 20, died after being shot late Tuesday by Israeli troops near the Joseph's Tomb religious site close to the Palestinian city of Nablus. The Israeli army said in a statement explosives were hurled from a vehicle as Jewish worshippers visited the site late Tuesday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.