Gaza officials say woman killed by Israeli fire at protest





GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Israeli forces killed a Palestinian woman during mass protests on the Gaza frontier Friday, according to Palestinian medics, and the Israeli military said aircraft struck two Hamas posts in response to the violent demonstrations.

The violence at the protests, in which more than two dozen Palestinians and an Israeli soldier were wounded, threatened to complicate efforts by Egyptian mediators, who are trying to shore up a two-month-old cease-fire.

Ashraf al-Kidra, a spokesman for Gaza's Health Ministry, said Amal al-Taramsi, 43, was shot in the head during the protests. He said another 25 Palestinians were wounded by gunfire.

A witness, identifying herself only as Umm Yazan, said al-Taramsi was standing about 150 meters (yards) away from the fence. "She took a flag from a youth and before she moved, three gunshots rang out... she fell down," the woman told reporters at Gaza's al-Shifa hospital, where relatives of the woman gathered.

The Israeli military said some 13,000 protesters and rioters participated in several demonstrations along the fence, with some hurling rocks and firebombs at troops on the other side. The military said an Israeli soldier was struck by a rock and lightly wounded.

The military said protesters briefly crossed the frontier into Israel on three occasions before returning to Gaza. In one of the instances, the military said it fired toward them. It said it struck two Hamas posts in response to the violence.

There were no reports of casualties from the airstrikes.

Hamas has led mass demonstrations along the frontier every Friday since March, calling for the lifting of an Israeli and Egyptian blockade imposed on Gaza when the Islamic militant group seized power in 2007. The protesters burn tires and hurl rocks and firebombs at Israeli forces dug in behind sand berms on the other side of the fence.

More than 185 Palestinians and an Israeli soldier have been killed since the protests began. Israel says it only uses live fire to defend against attacks, but the Palestinians and rights groups accuse it of using excessive force.

A botched Israeli commando operation ignited hostilities in November, with Hamas firing hundreds of rockets and Israel responding with a wave of airstrikes, in the most intense exchange of fire since the 2014 Gaza war.

Egypt brokered a cease-fire and has been trying to restore calm after a rocket attack earlier this month that caused no casualties. Israel responded to the attack by delaying the delivery of $15 million in Qatari aid, which is intended to pay Hamas civil servants and help preserve the calm.

In the occupied West Bank, meanwhile, the Israeli military said its forces shot and wounded a Palestinian who attempted to stab soldiers near a Jewish settlement outside the city of Hebron. The army said it evacuated the assailant for medical treatment.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said the man was in critical condition. No Israeli soldiers were harmed.

_____

Associated Press writer Isabel DeBre in Jerusalem contributed.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Explainer: Money talks in Trump
Explainer: Money talks in Trump's Mideast plan - but can it pave way for peace?
  • US
  • 2019-06-25 17:41:21Z

More than two years after U.S. President Donald Trump first proposed a plan to revive the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, its first phase was launched on Tuesday at an economic workshop in Bahrain. The 'Peace to Prosperity' economic summit to encourage investment in the Palestinian Territories was billed as the first part of the White House's broader political plan to end the conflict. Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, the plan's main architect, gave Reuters an exclusive preview of the economic proposals on Saturday.

Palestinians reject US-Bahrain peace plan as Israel advises
Palestinians reject US-Bahrain peace plan as Israel advises 'surrender'
  • World
  • 2019-06-24 14:45:12Z

The Palestinians on Monday vowed to reject a US-led peace initiative to be presented in Bahrain that dangles the prospect of $50 billion as an Israeli envoy bluntly told them they should "surrender". Led by President Donald Trump's son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner, the Peace to Prosperity

Is Israel Thinking About a Military Strike on Iran? History Tells Us It
Is Israel Thinking About a Military Strike on Iran? History Tells Us It's Possible.

Iran shot down a U.S. drone on June 19, further escalating tensions between Iran and its adversaries.Relations with Iran have been worsening for months. In early May, one year after the United States withdrew from the nuclear deal negotiated in 2015 between Iran, the U.S., the European Union and five other countries, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said that his country may also withdraw from the agreement, which limits its ability to develop nuclear weapons in exchange for lifting sanctions.In June, Rouhani announced that Iran will restart uranium enrichment, which could put the country on track to develop a nuclear weapon within a year. Rouhani's government insists its uranium will go...

US economic plan for Mideast peace met by harsh criticism
US economic plan for Mideast peace met by harsh criticism

When the Trump administration cut hundreds of millions of dollars of aid for Palestinians last year, the Parents Circle, a coexistence group of bereaved Israeli and Palestinian families, lost 30% of its budget overnight. While U.S. allies in the region have been cool to the plan ahead of a launching conference in Bahrain this week, former U.S. diplomats and Mideast experts criticized it for recycling past proposals, making unrealistic projections and ignoring Israel's continued occupation of the West Bank. The White House on Saturday unveiled the $50 billion plan, saying it would seek to raise the cash for a series of investment and infrastructure projects to support its...

Palestinian president Abbas says certain Bahrain conference will fail
Palestinian president Abbas says certain Bahrain conference will fail

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas said Sunday he was confident a peace conference this week in Bahrain would fail. "We are certain that the workshop in Manama will not be successful," Abbas, who is boycotting the US-led conference focussed on the Palestinian economy, told journalists. The US government unveiled Saturday the economic part of its peace plan that it will present in Bahrain on Tuesday and Wednesday, with the aim of raising more than $50 billion for the Palestinians and creating one million jobs within a decade.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.