Fox News makes plans to replace Shepard Smith; Trump wonders if 'bad ratings' are to blame




  • In Entertainment
  • 2019-10-13 20:00:52Z
  • By Hannah Yasharoff, USA TODAY
 

After announcing Friday that he's leaving Fox News, Shepard Smith's daily hour on the conservative-leaning news network is open. Who's going to replace him?

The weekday 3 p.m. block is still labeled as "Shepard Smith Reporting" on Fox News' official website. Until the network names a permanent replacement, it will become an hour-long news show titled "Fox News Reporting," featuring a rotating cast of anchors, the network announced in a news release. Trace Gallagher will anchor the show on Monday.

Gallagher began at Fox in 1996 and serves as the network's chief breaking news correspondent, according to his official biography.

Smith, the network's chief news anchor and managing editor of its breaking news unit, has worked at Fox News since its inception in 1996. During his tenure, he's made headlines for his on-air criticism of President Donald Trump.

Shepard Smith resigns from Fox News: Smith steps down as chief news anchor, departs network, stuns colleagues

During his Friday afternoon show, Smith announced his decision "to leave Fox News and begin a new chapter," after increasingly clashing with the network's prime-time opinion hosts.

He said his departure was voluntary: "After requesting that I stay, they graciously obliged. The opportunities afforded this guy from small-town Mississippi have been many. It's been an honor and a privilege to report the news each day to our loyal audience in context and with perspective, without fear or favor.

"Even in our currently polarized nation, it's my hope that the facts will win the day, that the truth will always matter, that journalism and journalists will thrive," Smith said in his emotional on-air speech.

Under his agreement with Fox, "I won't be able to report elsewhere at least in the near future," he said.

President Trump responded to Smith's announcement, tweeting: "Is he leaving due to bad ratings, or some other less important reason?"

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Fox News' Shepard Smith is gone; who will replace him as anchor?

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump Campaign Looks at Electoral Map and Doesn
Trump Campaign Looks at Electoral Map and Doesn't Like What It Sees

President Donald Trump is facing the bleakest outlook for his reelection bid so far, with his polling numbers plunging in both public and private surveys and his campaign beginning to worry about his standing in states like Ohio and Iowa that he carried by wide margins four years ago.The Trump campaign has recently undertaken a multimillion-dollar advertising effort in those two states as well as in Arizona in hopes of improving his standing while also shaking up his political operation and turning new attention to states like Georgia that were once considered reliably Republican. In private, Trump has expressed concern that his campaign is not battle-ready for the general election, while...

'I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act': Defense Secretary Esper breaks with Trump on use of troops

"The option to use active-duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort," Esper said.

Trump says he went to White House bunker for
Trump says he went to White House bunker for 'inspection,' not because of protests

President Donald Trump denied reports that he was escorted to an underground bunker at White House because of security concerns amid violent protest.

Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters
Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters

Under intense criticism for seeming to give President Trump's violent response to institutional police racism the imprimatur of the military, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he opposes using the active-duty military-even as an infantry battalion arrived outside Washington, D.C.The use of active-duty

Former Commanders Fault Trump
Former Commanders Fault Trump's Use of Troops Against Protesters

WASHINGTON -- Retired senior military leaders condemned their successors in the Trump administration for ordering military units Monday to rout those peacefully protesting police violence near the White House.As military helicopters flew low over the nation's capital and National Guard units moved

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Entertainment