Four members of Chinese army charged with stealing 145 million Americans' data in 2017 Equifax hack




  • In Business
  • 2020-02-10 16:09:33Z
  • By USA TODAY
 

WASHINGTON-Four members of the Chinese People's Liberation Army have been charged with hacking into the computer systems of the credit reporting agency Equifax in 2017.

A nine-count federal indictment unsealed Monday alleges the suspects stole personal information of 145 million Americans.

The suspects were members of the PLA's 54th Research Institute, part of the Chinese military. They were identified as Wu Zhiyong, Wang Qian, Xu Ke and Liu Lei.

"It was a deliberate and sweeping intrusion into the private information of the American people," Attorney General William Barr said.

The intrusion is the largest instance of state-sponsored theft in U.S. history, Deputy FBI Director David Bowdich said.

From about May through July 2017, the Chinese army obtained names, birthdates and Social Security numbers of 145 million Americans, and driver's license numbers for at least 10 million Americans, prosecutors wrote in the indictment.

"In a single breach, the PLA obtained sensitive personally identifiable information for nearly half of all American citizens," prosecutors wrote.

Hackers also stole credit card numbers and other personal information for 200,000 Americans and personal information for nearly a million citizens of the United Kingdom and Canada, the indictment says.

Equifax breach settlement: Wednesday is last day to file a claim for free credit monitoring or money

Equifax has agreed to pay up to $700 million to settle federal and state investigations into how it handled the data breach.

The settlement includes $425 million to help consumers affected by the breach and a restitution fund with at least $380.5 million allotted to consumer compensation. The fund will also include an additional $125 million, if the initial funds run out.

The Justice Department and the FBI have been investigating individuals for alleged theft of trade secrets and economic espionage as part of its China Initiative, launched in 2018 in response to government agencies' findings about China's practice of acquiring intellectual property and technology from other countries.

Last week, FBI Director Christopher Wray said the communist power's theft of technology and trade secrets is the "greatest long-term threat to our economic vitality."

Wray said the Chinese government will use any means necessary to "steal their way up the economic ladder at our expense'' by penetrating information technology systems, aerospace, agriculture, defense and research programs, and broad swaths of academia.

The FBI has 1,000 open investigations into suspected Chinese economic espionage and technology theft, he said.

Last month, the Justice Department charged a Harvard University professor for allegedly lying about money he received from the Chinese government. Charles Lieber, chair of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Harvard, made false statements about work he did for a program run by the Chinese government that seeks to lure American talent to China, according to the Justice Department.

In a separate case, two Chinese nationals who came to the United States through a work-study program by the State Department were charged last month with visa fraud, making false statements and acting as an agent of foreign government.

Contributing: Nathan Bomey, Kristine Phillips

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: DOJ: Chinese army hacked Equifax, stole 145 million Americans' data

COMMENTS

More Related News

More than 1,100 ex-DOJ employees call for Attorney General Barr
More than 1,100 ex-DOJ employees call for Attorney General Barr's resignation

The letter comes after a contentious week for the Justice Department, which already faces allegations of succumbing to political pressure.

William Barr must quit over Trump-Stone scandal - former justice officials
William Barr must quit over Trump-Stone scandal - former justice officials
  • US
  • 2020-02-16 20:24:09Z

* More than 1,000 public servants decry presidential interference * Aide Conway claims justice system rigged against Trump * Robert Reich: assaulting justice, Trump has out-Nixoned NixonMore than 1,000 former US justice department officials, including some of the top government lawyers in the country, have called on attorney general William Barr to resign in the wake of the Roger Stone scandal.Some 1,143 alumni of the Department of Justice posted to Medium on Sunday a group letter that tore into Barr for "doing the president's personal bidding" in imposing on prosecutors the recommendation of a reduced sentence for Stone, a longtime friend of Donald Trump who was convicted of lying to...

Fearful of Trump
Fearful of Trump's Attacks, Justice Dept. Lawyers Worry Barr Will Leave Them Exposed

WASHINGTON -- In an email a few days ago to the 270 lawyers he oversees, Nicola T. Hanna, the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles, offered a message of reassurance: I am proud of the work you do, he wrote.Other U.S. attorneys in the Justice Department's far-flung 93 field offices relayed similar messages

Why Wasn
Why Wasn't Andrew McCabe Charged?

The Justice Department announced Friday that it is closing its investigation of Andrew McCabe, the FBI's former deputy director, over his false statements to investigators probing an unauthorized leak that McCabe had orchestrated. McCabe was fired in March 2018, shortly after a blistering Justice Department inspector general (IG) report concluded that he repeatedly and blatantly lied - or, as the Bureau lexicon puts it, "lacked candor" - when questioned, including under oath.Why not indict McCabe on felony false-statements charges? That is the question being pressed by incensed Trump supporters. After all, the constitutional guarantee of equal justice under the law is supposed to mean...

Trump Admin to Send Border Patrol Special Ops on Raids in Sanctuary Cities
Trump Admin to Send Border Patrol Special Ops on Raids in Sanctuary Cities

The Trump administration is sending officers from a special operations unit of the Border Patrol to assist in raids by Immigration Customs and Enforcement in so-called sanctuary cities.The officers from BORTAC, the Border Patrol's version of a SWAT unit, will deploy to New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and various other cities whose local governments forbid law enforcement from working with federal immigration officials, the New York Times reported on Friday. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Lawrence Payne confirmed the initiative.BORTAC officers will be deployed "in order to enhance the integrity of the immigration system, protect public safety, and strengthen our...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business