Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe won't be charged, Justice Department says




  • In US
  • 2020-02-14 18:11:00Z
  • By ABC News
Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe won\
Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe won\'t be charged, Justice Department says  

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe won't be charged, Justice Department says originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

The Justice Department has informed former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe that it will not seek charges against him for allegedly lying to internal investigators several years ago.

MORE: Despite President Donald Trump's Twitter attacks, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe doubles down on investigations

McCabe was fired from the FBI on March 16, 2018, after the Justice Department's inspector general concluded that McCabe misled investigators looking into how Justice Department and FBI officials handled matters associated with the 2016 presidential election.

MORE: DOJ rejects McCabe appeal to abandon prosecution in leak investigation, sources say

Reacting on CNN, where he is now a contributor, McCabe said that it was an "absolute disgrace" that it took two years for the Justice Department to reach what he called the "obvious conclusion" -- that he said could have been drawn "a long, long time ago."

"Just so glad that my kids don't have to live with this anymore," McCabe, a frequent target of President Donald Trump's wrath, said.

"To have this horrific black cloud that's been hanging over me and my family for almost the last two years, to have that finally lifted is just an unbelievable -- it's a relief I'm not sure I can really explain to you adequately," McCabe said.

He also said he had been concerned that Trump's "revenge" following his acquittal in the Senate impeachment trial had "amplified my concerns about what would happen in my own case."

McCabe filed a civil suit against the Department of Justice and the FBI in August, arguing his firing was unjust and politically motivated.

MORE: Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe sues Bureau, DOJ over firing

The suit, which also names Attorney General Bill Barr and FBI Director Christopher Wray as defendants, claims that McCabe faced "unlawful retaliation for his refusal to pledge allegiance to a single man," apparently a reference to President Donald Trump.

McCabe served briefly as the bureau's director after his predecessor, James Comey, was fired. McCabe has long defended his actions, insisting he did his best to relay accurate information to those investigators.

Barr intervened Tuesday to reverse a sentencing recommendation made by prosecutors in the case of longtime Trump ally Roger Stone.

Following that unprecedented intervention, all four line prosecutors withdrew from the case in protest, with one resigning from the Justice Department entirely.

MORE: Barr blasts Trump's tweets on Stone case: 'Impossible for me to do my job': ABC News Exclusive

Facing the prospect of potential further resignations, Barr spoke out Thursday in an interview with ABC News in which he admonished President Donald Trump for tweets attacking a district judge and congratulating Barr for "taking control" of the Stone case.

"To have public statements and tweets made about the department, about our people in the department, our men and women here, about cases pending in the department, and about judges before whom we have cases, make it impossible for me to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we're doing our work with integrity," Barr said.

MORE: Despite Barr's warning, Trump insists he has a right to intervene in criminal cases

It's unclear whether Barr's criticism also alluded to the office's investigation of McCabe, whom Trump has targeted in dozens of tweets and in his public statements complaining about the Russia investigation.

ABC News' Allison Pecorin contributed to this report.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Navy Secretary calls Roosevelt
Navy Secretary calls Roosevelt's fired captain 'stupid' as more ships stricken with coronavirus

Trump says he will look into case, saying Capt. Crozier has had "a very good career," and he doesn't "want to destroy somebody for having a bad day."

He Led a Top Navy Ship. Now He Sits in Quarantine, Fired and Infected.
He Led a Top Navy Ship. Now He Sits in Quarantine, Fired and Infected.
  • World
  • 2020-04-06 12:09:25Z

WASHINGTON -- For days, he fended off fears that the contagion would spread unchecked through his crew. Then last week, the captain of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, who had appealed to his superiors for help, was fired.By Sunday, friends said, he had come down with the coronavirus himself.The military has long adhered to a rigid chain of command and tolerated no dissent expressed outside official channels. Capt. Brett Crozier, the skipper of the aircraft carrier, knew he was up against those imperatives when he asked for help for nearly 5,000 crew members trapped in a petri dish of a warship in the middle of a pandemic.But colleagues say the mistake that could cost Crozier...

Trump Urges Coronavirus Patients to Take Unproven Drug
Trump Urges Coronavirus Patients to Take Unproven Drug

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the federal government was placing millions of doses of a malaria drug in the federal stockpile of emergency medical supplies to make it available for coronavirus patients, even though the drug has not been approved for COVID-19 treatment and his top coronavirus

Trump Proceeds With Post-Impeachment Purge Amid Pandemic
Trump Proceeds With Post-Impeachment Purge Amid Pandemic

WASHINGTON -- Remember the impeachment? President Donald Trump does. Even in the middle of a pandemic, he made clear on Saturday that he remained fixated on purging the government of those he believes betrayed him during the inquiry that led to his Senate trial.The president's under-cover-of-darkness

U.S.
U.S. 'wasted' months before preparing for virus pandemic

As the first alarms sounded in early January that an outbreak of a novel coronavirus in China might ignite a global pandemic, the Trump administration squandered nearly two months that could have been used to bolster the federal stockpile of critically needed medical supplies and equipment. A review

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US