Florida gun owners encouraged to 'shoot the storm' and fire their guns at Hurricane Irma




 

A Florida man who suggested shooting guns at Hurricane Irma out of "stress and boredom" has found that his idea has captured peoples' imaginations - with over 46,000 signing up to join in.

Hurricane Irma is due to hit Florida on Saturday, and the state is currently experiencing the largest ever mass evacuation due to a hurricane in American history.

But Ryon Edwards, 22, came up with a novel way of amusing himself during the storm: firing bullets into it.

He started a Facebook "event", and as of Friday evening 46,000 people say they are interested.

"A combination of stress and boredom made me start the event," he told the BBC.

"The response is a complete and total surprise to me.

"I never envisioned this event becoming some kind of crazy idea larger than myself. It has become something a little out of my control."

Graphics suggesting how to shoot at a hurricane have sprung up online, with the suggestion that if you fire correctly the bullet might not come back and kill you.

Since Mr Edwards came up with his "masterplan", other similar Facebook pages have been created - including one suggesting using flame throwers to scare away the storm.

"It's time we took a stand against this bully!" reads the event description. "This is our home, nobody drives us out of our own territory.

"Join me in this fight as we shoot flames at Hurricane Irma and dissipate her on the spot."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Injured Florida QB Luke Del Rio ends
Injured Florida QB Luke Del Rio ends 'unique college career'

Injured Florida quarterback Luke Del Rio has decided to end his ''unique'' college career. Del Rio posted on his Twitter page Wednesday that he will be participating in ''Senior Day'' activities before the team's season finale Saturday against rival Florida State. Del Rio is a fifth-year senior who had been granted a sixth year of eligibility.

Ann Maguire murder: Parents should be made to sign contracts with Facebook and monitor children's accounts, says coroner 
Ann Maguire murder: Parents should be made to sign contracts with Facebook and monitor children's accounts, says coroner 

Parents should be made to sign contracts compelling them to monitor their children's Facebook messages, the coroner in the Ann Maguire murder inquest has claimed. Under proposals due to be presented to the Digital minister Matt Hancock, parents would be given the right to pry on their children's accounts because their "responsibility transcends" a teenager's "entitlement to privacy". The suggestions would also require teens aged 13 to 18 to have a named parent on their application to open an account, and make parents contractually obliged to monitor their communications. Coroner Kevin McLoughlin outlined the proposals yesterday as a jury ruled that the murder of Spanish teacher Ann...

Alabama Police Chief Suspended After 'Joking' About Roy Moore Sexual Assault Allegations
Alabama Police Chief Suspended After 'Joking' About Roy Moore Sexual Assault Allegations

An Alabama police chief has been suspended after posting on social media what he described as "jokes" about sexual assault accusations that are dominating the state's race for a U.S. Senate seat.

Doubts linger after Florida
Doubts linger after Florida's Scott pitches biggest budget
  • US
  • 2017-11-21 15:22:08Z

After deep cuts in spending for Florida schools and other public programs following the Great Recession, outgoing Republican Governor Rick Scott this month proposed an $87.4 billion budget he says boosts spending on some depleted services to record levels. Despite Scott's meaty 2018-2019 budget recommendation, which is about $2.4 billion above current spending, advocates for Florida public education, environment and affordable housing remained skeptical the new plan would go far enough. "It doesn't move Florida (schools) out from the bottom when compared to other states," said Mark Pudlow, spokesman for the Florida Education Association, the state's teachers union.

Billionaire Mark Cuban says the
Billionaire Mark Cuban says the 'big losers' of the move to block the AT&T-Time Warner merger are Facebook and Google

Mark Cuban believes Facebook and Alphabet's Google unit will be "big losers" of the Justice Department's decision to sue to block the proposed merger between AT&T and Time Warner.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.