FEMA faces Hurricane Florence with range of housing options from 2017 storms




  • In US
  • 2018-09-13 22:48:16Z
  • By By Jessica Resnick-Ault and Stephanie Kelly

By Jessica Resnick-Ault and Stephanie Kelly

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency has thousands of modular homes on hand along with other temporary housing options tested by last year's spate of storms, as Hurricane Florence bears down on the U.S. Southeast, the agency said on Thursday.

Over 1 million residents of coastal states including North Carolina and South Carolina were ordered to evacuate as of Thursday afternoon, ahead of the expected landfall of Hurricane Florence on Friday.

If their homes are damaged, FEMA has options beyond standard temporary trailers for housing, agency officials said. People displaced in hurricanes may receive short-term rental assistance, access to federal programs that fix houses while residents remain in them, and programs that repair homes to a habitable level without completely restoring them.

The storms in 2017 tested the agency's resources, with 472,000 housing units destroyed or severely damaged in Puerto Rico alone by Hurricane Maria. Among other storms last year, Hurricane Irma caused destruction in Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands, while Hurricane Harvey resulted in severe flooding in parts of Texas.

Last year "was a banner year for the agency where we really had to think about all the different options," said Alex Amparo, deputy assistant administrator of FEMA's National Preparedness Directorate.

"There was a variety of menu options of housing that kept people in their housing, in their communities, in their schools, in their houses of worship, that we had not had before."

Amparo did not specify how many modular units were on hand to respond to Hurricane Florence, but said it was "more than 2,000."

After Hurricane Harvey, the agency provided so-called temporary sheltering assistance (TSA) to more than 54,500 people in Texas, with some of them staying in the TSA program - one of several options in the state - for nearly a year.

Puerto Rico's recovery director told Reuters on Thursday that work still needed to be completed under at least one other FEMA program for short-term housing.

The Sheltering and Temporary Essential Power program, known as STEP, which was created in 2015 and tested in four jurisdictions last year, has over 100,000 orders for home repairs, more than half of which are not yet done, said Omar Marrero.

Puerto Rico's government has asked for additional federal support to conclude the repairs, according to an appeal the U.S. island territory submitted to FEMA on Aug. 30.

(Reporting by Jessica Resnick-Ault and Stephanie Kelly; Editing by Peter Cooney)

COMMENTS

More Related News

White House Brags About Trump's 'Historic Recovery Effort In Puerto Rico'
White House Brags About Trump's 'Historic Recovery Effort In Puerto Rico'

White House officials on Thursday touted President Donald Trump and his

A year after deadly Maria, Puerto Rico still struggles with aftermath
A year after deadly Maria, Puerto Rico still struggles with aftermath
  • US
  • 2018-09-20 17:39:37Z

Shuttered businesses, blue tarp roofs and extensively damaged homes can still be seen throughout Puerto Rico a year after Hurricane Maria ripped through the island with 150 mile-per-hour winds, and access to electricity and fresh water remain spotty. Last month, the U.S. Commonwealth's government sharply raised the official estimate of Maria's death toll to almost 3,000 after an independent study. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump has refused to accept the new number, and continues to joust with many local officials and other critics who complain that the federal response to the storm was inadequate.

FEMA Chief Reportedly Considered Quitting As Florence Raged In His Home State
FEMA Chief Reportedly Considered Quitting As Florence Raged In His Home State

Brock Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency,

President Trump Travels to Storm-Ravaged Carolinas to Survey Hurricane Florence Damage
President Trump Travels to Storm-Ravaged Carolinas to Survey Hurricane Florence Damage

'America grieves with you and our hearts break for you.'

Florence death toll climbs to 37; Trump visits stricken area
Florence death toll climbs to 37; Trump visits stricken area

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) - The death toll from Hurricane Florence climbed to at least 37, including two women who drowned when a sheriff's van taking them to a mental health facility was swept away by floodwaters, and North Carolina's governor pleaded with thousands of evacuees not to return home just yet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.