Federer, Djokovic advance as Serena pulls out in Cincinnati





Cincinnati (AFP) - Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic overwhelmed opponents at the WTA-ATP Cincinnati Masters on Tuesday, where Serena Williams withdrew because of back trouble.

Williams had hoped to rebound from the back spasms that forced her out of the WTA final in Toronto on Sunday, where she lasted only four games before retiring.

But the 23-time Grand Slam champion said her back was "still not right" casting a further shadow on her chances at the US Open starting in Flushing Meadows on August 26.

For Djokovic and Federer, back in action for the first time since the Serb's victory over the Swiss in the Wimbledon final, it was a smooth start to their US Open build-up.

Federer, seeded third, remained unruffled by a one-hour rain interruption at 2-2 in the second set, eventually defeating Argentina's Juan Ignacio Londero 6-3, 6-4 to reach the third round at the event he has won seven times.

"I'm very happy, even if it was a bit tricky with the rain delay," Federer said. "I'm happy to be back on court.

"This is the start of a long, long hardcourt swing. It's good to begin with a win.

"I didn't know that much about my opponent -- he's new to the tour -- but at the end you have to concentrate on your own game."

Defending champion Djokovic double faulted three times as he dropped serve in the opening game against Sam Querrey but quickly put things right and pulled away for a 7-5, 6-1 victory over the American.

"I ended the match well even if the start was nervy," said Djokovic, who would break Querrey twice to take the first set then roll to victory.

"Sam was feeling comfortable on the court at the start and dictating. It was tough facing his big serve," Djokovic said, adding that he was "hoping for a better performance in the next round."

Williams, meanwhile, was left just trying to get healthy after pulling out of her scheduled first-round match against qualifier Zarina Diyas.

"I came to Mason (Ohio) on Sunday and have tried everything to be ready to play tonight, and was still hopeful after my practice this morning," Williams said in a statement released by tournament officials.

"But unfortunately my back is still not right."

It's another injury blow for the 37-year-old American, who was hampered by knee trouble earlier this season and remains in search of her first title since the 2017 Australian Open.

In early action, Stan Wawrinka won a first-round battle as he eliminated 2017 Cincinnati champion Grigor Dimitrov 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7/4).

Under leaden skies after an overnight thunderstorm, Dimitrov broke in the 12th game of the first set to take the lead. The 33-year-old Swiss fought back with the only break in the second set.

Wawrinka then raced into a 5-1 lead in the final set but wasted two match points in the eighth game and was broken twice while serving for victory.

Wawrinka had to hold off his Bulgarian opponent in the final-set tiebreaker before squeezing through in more than two and a half hours with his 10th ace.

- Venus topples Bertens -

Venus Williams kept the family flag flying, the 39-year-old American putting her decades of experience to good use in a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7/4) victory over defending champion Kiki Bertens.

"Before the match I felt quite good. Stepping on court, I'd say first few games was pretty bad," Bertens said. "I didn't start the match in a loose way. I knew that I had to defend the title."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Former champion Wawrinka confirms he
Former champion Wawrinka confirms he's skipping US Open

Former champion Stan Wawrinka confirmed Friday that he will not play the US Open citing "the health situation in New York" as the Grand Slam event took another hit. Wawrinka, the US Open winner in 2016, was already missing from the entry list along with four-time champion Rafael Nadal. "And the sequence of tournaments which follows after the US Open will be tough," he added, referring to the Italian Open which starts a week after the conclusion of the New York event.

Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens join growing list of US Open withdrawals
Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens join growing list of US Open withdrawals

Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens are the latest big names to pull out of the US Open. Svitolina, the world No 5, and Bertens, the No 7, have followed in the footsteps of defending men's champion Rafael Nadal and women's world No 1 Ashleigh Barty in deciding against playing in New York due to fears over Covid-19. The grand slam, due to be played in a biosecure bubble with strict safety protocols at Flushing Meadows, is set to take place from Aug 31 to Sept 13, but many players are not prepared to travel. Svitolina said in a statement on Twitter: "Considering all the aspects, I have decided not to play the US Open. I want to thank the USTA, organisers and WTA for giving the players a chance...

WTT ready to share recipe for functional
WTT ready to share recipe for functional 'bubble': CEO

World TeamTennis organisers are keen to share with other sports their experience of hosting a three-week tournament inside a bio-secure 'bubble' amid the COVID-19 pandemic, chief executive Carlos Silva told Reuters. The nine-team competition, co-founded by tennis great Billie Jean King in the 1970s, was one of the first live sports events in the United States to welcome fans since the outbreak when it ran at West Virginia's Greenbrier Resort. Multiple Grand Slam champions Venus Williams and Kim Clijsters took part and it all ended with a thrilling final on Sunday when the New York Empire beat the Chicago Smash on a winner-takes-all last point.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis