Federal court orders EPA to implement smog rules




EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt speaks during President Trump
EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt speaks during President Trump's infrastructure meeting at the White House in Washington  

By Valerie Volcovici

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal court on Monday ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to implement protections against smog set in 2015, the latest defeat in court by the agency as it rolls back environmental regulations.

The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California ruled that the agency led by Administrator Scott Pruitt needs to move ahead to carry out the 2015 Ozone Standards and designate areas in the country that do not meet them.

The EPA has until April 30 to comply.

Pruitt "has failed to perform a non-discretionary duty imposed" to designate areas of the country that do not meet the standards set for levels of ozone, the main component in smog, the court order said.

EPA spokeswoman Liz Bowman said in an email: "We look forward to working with co-regulators to continue the designations process for the 2015 standards for ground-level ozone; we are evaluating the information provided by governors in February 2018 as part of that process."

Pruitt last June initially intended to stall the Oct. 1 deadline by one year, but quickly reversed course the next day, without saying whether he would honor the Oct. 1 deadline.

Sixteen state attorneys general as well as a coalition of environmental groups sued to force Pruitt to meet the deadline and implement the smog standards.

"It will help us protect families and communities by ensuring that EPA is moving forward to implement health-based protections to reduce smog," said Environmental Defense Fund attorney Rachel Fullmer.

Smog exacerbates conditions like asthma, especially in children and senior citizens.

Courts have blocked several attempts by the EPA and U.S. Interior Department to suspend regulations curbing methane leaks from oil and gas infrastructure.

Last June, the EPA restored a mercury protection rule after being sued by the Natural Resources Defense Council.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, one of the AGs who sued the administration, said on Monday he will keep "a close eye" on whether EPA complies with the order.

(Reporting by Valerie Volcovici in Washington; Editing by Suzannah Gonzales)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Joe Manchin Named To Key Senate Energy Post Despite Opposition From Left
Joe Manchin Named To Key Senate Energy Post Despite Opposition From Left

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) will be the new top Democrat on the chamber's

Trump administration rolls back clean water protections
Trump administration rolls back clean water protections

The US government on Tuesday unveiled a plan to roll back clean water rules protecting the nation's waterways and wetlands, fulfilling a pledge from President Donald Trump to farmers and supporters who view environmental regulations as too strict. The proposed changes to the Clean Water Act would "remove and replace" rules set by the administration of Barack Obama in 2015, which was widely praised by environmental protection activists. Trump had previously called the Obama-era regulation "horrible" and said it impeded economic development in rural areas -- an issue that was important to his electoral base.

Conservation groups sue Trump administration over Atlantic oil testing
Conservation groups sue Trump administration over Atlantic oil testing
  • US
  • 2018-12-11 20:56:39Z

Environmental groups opposed to offshore drilling sued the federal government on Tuesday to prevent future seismic tests for oil and gas deposits in Atlantic waters off the U.S. East Coast. Seismic testing, which uses air gun blasts, violates federal laws that protect marine mammals, endangered species, and national environmental policy, according the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Charleston, South Carolina, against U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Waste plant fire stokes Italy garbage crisis
Waste plant fire stokes Italy garbage crisis

Twelve teams of firefighters battled Tuesday to put out a vast fire at a garbage dump in Rome as critics slammed the capital's beleaguered waste manager and warned of chaos to come. The odour of burning refuse wafted across the historic centre as the blaze, which began overnight, crept steadily from the site in the north-east of the city. City hall said it had called the national civil protection agency and the environmental protection agency to an emergency task force meeting and was monitoring air quality in the area.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.