- 2020-08-05 18:05:25Z
Despite a loss in revenue from holding its marquee event without spectators amid the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. Tennis Association announced Wednesday that its overall compensation to players at this year's U.S. Open will be $53.4 million - which is 93.3% of the roughly $57.2 million awarded in 2019. The U.S. Open women's and men's singles champions will each earn $3 million, down $850,000 - or 22% - from the top prizes at the Grand Slam tennis tournament last year, part of a decrease of nearly $4 million in total player compensation in 2020. Defending U.S. Open champion Rafael Nadal said Tuesday he didn't want to travel during the pandemic and would not be entering the tournament.
- 2020-08-05 15:38:05Z
Rafael Nadal is a 5-time tennis champion at the U.S. Open, including in 2019, but he confirmed Tuesday (August 4) that he will not be returning to the court at Flushing Meadows to defend his title this year.
Spain's Nadal said in June he had reservations about travelling to the U.S. amid the COVID-19 pandemic, but he has now posted on Twitter saying: "cases are increasing, it looks like we still don't have control of it."
"I am the defending champion there but my personal feeling, my heart says today it's not the moment to have this long travel without knowing exactly what can happen or what can't happen. So, my decision is to stay here"
- 2020-08-05 14:11:15Z
Rafael Nadal on Wednesday said he still intends to play at the French Open next month and remains hopeful it will go ahead, despite withdrawing from the US Open due to coronavirus concerns. Nadal also insisted the US Open will not carry an asterisk without its defending men's champion, even if he admitted it will take place under "special circumstances", with several top players expected to sit out. The 34-year-old Spaniard's withdrawal was confirmed shortly after the Madrid Open was cancelled on Tuesday, with a rise in coronavirus cases in Europe raising doubts around other events, including the French Open, which is due to start in Paris on September 27.
- 2020-08-05 13:49:55Z
The hardcourt Grand Slam, which starts on Aug. 31, lost its men's defending champion in singles with Nadal deciding against travelling to New York. "The tournament is still big, it's a Grand Slam," Nadal told reporters during a video conference from Spain. "Of course, it will be a tournament under special circumstances but still a Grand Slam, and the winner will feel it, like a Grand Slam winner."
- 2020-08-05 12:31:09Z
VIDEO SHOWS: INTERVIEW WITH RAFAEL NADAL ON HIS WITHDRAWAL FROM THE US OPEN / B-ROLL OF NADAL PRACTISING AT VARIOUS EVENTS
LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
1. DEFENDING U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONS RAFAEL NADAL TYING HIS SHOE
2. NADAL PRACTICING AT ATP TOUR FINALS
MALLORCA, SPAIN (AUGUST 5, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
3. (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEFENDING U.S. OPEN CHAMPION, RAFAEL NADAL, ON HIS DECISION TO MISS THIS YEAR'S TOURNAMENT, SAYING:
"Well everybody knows how much I love playing in New York. The energy that that court brings to me is just difficult to describe,...
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *