Explosion sparks fire at Aden refinery, cause unknown




  • In Science
  • 2019-01-11 20:06:31Z
  • By Reuters

ADEN (Reuters) - Civil defense forces in Yemen's port city of Aden fought to extinguish a fire at an oil refinery on Friday, sparked hours earlier by an explosion, the cause of which was still unknown, the refinery company said.

There were no reports of casualties.

Separately, Saudi state television reported that the Saudi-led military coalition fighting the Iran-allied Houthi group had destroyed a communication and control center the Houthis used to direct their unmanned aircraft. It did not give further details.

A day earlier the Houthis launched a drone attack on a military parade in Lahaj, a province next to Aden, killing several people.

Aden is under the control of an internationally recognized government, which, backed by a Saudi-led and U.S.-backed coalition, is fighting a nearly four-year-old war against the Houthis.

The Houthis said in November they were halting drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and their Yemeni allies, but tensions have risen recently over how to implement a United Nations-sponsored deal in Hodeidah.

The Houthis and the government agreed at peace talks in Sweden in December to stop fighting in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah and withdraw forces following months of diplomacy and Western pressure.

But implementation of the deal, the first breakthrough in peace efforts in five years, has stalled as the sides disagree on who will control Hodeidah after the withdrawal.

The U.S. State Department condemned Thursday's attack and called for restraint from all sides.

"This attack contravenes the spirit of the (Hodeidah) ceasefire and the progress made last month at the U.N.-led talks in Sweden," deputy spokesman Robert Palladino said in a statement.

(Reporting by Mohammed Ghobari and Mohamed El-Sherif, writing by Stephen Kalin, Editing by William Maclean and Raissa Kasolowsky)

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Latest: Pompeo stresses diplomacy in Gulf crisis
The Latest: Pompeo stresses diplomacy in Gulf crisis

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is stressing diplomacy in responding to suspected attacks on oil tankers near a Middle East shipping route and says American officials are reaching out to their foreign counterparts. Pompeo tells "Fox News Sunday" that intelligence officials have "lots of data, lots of evidence" tying Iran to alleged attacks on two oil tankers traveling near the Strait of Hormuz, a transit route for Arab oil shipments to Asia. Asked whether the United States might send troops in response, Pompeo notes that it's China and China's neighbors - not the U.S. - that could see a significant threat to their energy supplies from any attacks there.

Damaged tanker arrives at UAE anchorage amid increased regional tensions
Damaged tanker arrives at UAE anchorage amid increased regional tensions

A damaged Japanese tanker arrived Sunday at a UAE anchorage site after it was rocked by explosions in Gulf waters as Saudi Arabia accused arch-rival Iran of being behind the attack. The Kokuka Courageous was carrying highly flammable methanol through the Gulf of Oman on Thursday when it came under attack along with the Norwegian-operated Front Altair -- the second assault in a month in the strategic shipping lane. US President Donald Trump has said the twin attacks had Iran "written all over it" -- rejecting Tehran's vehement denial -- and its key Gulf ally Saudi Arabia has also lashed out against Tehran.

Saudi crown prince says kingdom isn
Saudi crown prince says kingdom isn't seeking war in region

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said in remarks published Sunday that the kingdom is not seeking war in the region, but warned it will not hesitate to confront threats to its security. The U.S. alleges Iran used limpet mines to target the tankers, pointing to black-and-white footage it captured that American officials describe as Iranian Revolutionary Guard troops removing an unexploded mine from the Kokuka Courageous. Iran has rejected the U.S. claim that it was responsible for Thursday's attacks, saying it stands ready to play an active and constructive role in ensuring the security of strategic maritime passages.

Saudi crown prince warns against
Saudi crown prince warns against 'exploiting' Khashoggi murder

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has warned against "exploiting" the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi for political gains, in what appeared to be a veiled attack on Turkey. Turkey's ties with Saudi Arabia have come under strain since the brutal murder last October of Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, which tarnished the international reputation of the crown prince. Turkish officials were the first to report the murder and have continued to press Saudi Arabia for information on the whereabouts of his dismembered body, which has yet to be found.

Saudi crown prince lashes out at arch-rival Iran over tanker attacks
Saudi crown prince lashes out at arch-rival Iran over tanker attacks

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman accused arch-rival Iran of attacks on oil tankers in a vital Gulf shipping channel, adding he "won't hesitate" to tackle any threats to the kingdom, according to an interview published on Sunday. Two tankers were struck by explosions on Thursday in the Gulf of Oman, the second attack in a month in the strategic shipping lane amid a tense US-Iran standoff, sparking fears of a regional conflagration and sending oil prices soaring. The prince also accused "Iran and its proxies" over May 12 attacks on four tankers anchored in the Gulf of Oman off the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Science

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.