Exclusive: U.S. preparing to send more troops to Middle East - sources




  • In US
  • 2019-06-17 21:53:54Z
  • By Reuters
 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is preparing to send additional troops to the Middle East in response to mounting concerns over Iran, which Washington blames for attacks on oil tankers last week, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The officials did not say how many troops would be deployed or detail the timing of the deployment, which has not been previously reported. If confirmed, it would be in addition to the 1,500 troop increase announced last month in response to tanker attacks in May that it also blamed on Iran.

The Pentagon declined comment. It was unclear when a new deployment might be announced.

U.S. concerns about the threat to U.S. forces and interests in the region have increased steadily in recent weeks, particularly after the attacks on two oil tankers at the entrance to the Gulf on Thursday.

The United States last week released a video it said showed Iran's Revolutionary Guard were behind Thursday's attacks near the Strait of Hormuz on the Norwegian-owned Front Altair, which was set ablaze, and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous.

The U.S. military released additional imagery on Monday.

"Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine," Central Command said in a statement.

Iran strongly denies the accusations.



(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

COMMENTS

More Related News

'The Americans are dominating': Can anyone stop the US completing their first Grand Slam since 1982?

The last time the United States won all four majors in the same season, Tiger Woods was eight years old, Brooks Koepka was seven years from being born and America had not been beaten in the Ryder Cup for a quarter of a century.  If one considers that in 1982, the first CD player was released in Japan

WTO opens way for Chinese sanctions against U.S. tariffs in Obama-era dispute
WTO opens way for Chinese sanctions against U.S. tariffs in Obama-era dispute

The United States did not fully comply with a World Trade Organization ruling and could face Chinese sanctions if it does not remove certain tariffs that break WTO rules, the WTO's appeals judges said in a ruling on Tuesday. China went to the WTO in 2012 to challenge U.S. anti-subsidy tariffs on

Top Iran diplomat says talks on ballistic missiles possible
Top Iran diplomat says talks on ballistic missiles possible
  • World
  • 2019-07-16 08:24:29Z

Iran's foreign minister has suggested for the first time that the Islamic Republic's ballistic missile program could be up for negotiations with the U.S., a possible opening for talks as tensions remain high between Tehran and Washington over the collapsing nuclear deal. Mohammad Javad Zarif

Hunger on the rise worldwide as 821 million affected, says UN
Hunger on the rise worldwide as 821 million affected, says UN
  • World
  • 2019-07-15 15:59:27Z

More than 821 million people suffered from hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition worldwide last year, the United Nations reported Monday -- the third year in a row that the number has risen. After decades of decline, food insecurity began to increase in 2015 and reversing the trend is one of the

Trump administration erects another barrier to immigrants seeking U.S. asylum
Trump administration erects another barrier to immigrants seeking U.S. asylum

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration on Monday unveiled a new rule to bar almost all immigrants from applying for asylum at the southern border, requiring them to first pursue safe haven in a third country through which they had traveled on the way to the United States. The American Civil Liberties Union called the new rule "patently unlawful" and vowed to file a lawsuit against it, while a host of experts also questioned its legality. "The interim regulation violates the clear language of the law in several respects," Stephen Legomsky, a former chief counsel of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, told Reuters in an email.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.